Hiking boots from Kathmandu - ummm

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you do when wearing your boots. I do a lot of hiking and climbing over rocks and many times I've been grateful for the thick, grippy, soles of my Scarpa boots. They are leather and very comfortable but at the same time very heavy. Next time I'll probably buy synthetic as leather really is too heavy and non-breathing in this age of high tech materials:

i would never go cheap on boots - they are probably the most important piece of equipment you have if you're doing any sort of trecking.....
Mrs A just bought a pair of those and she's very happy with them. She wore the on a hike the next day - no probs

Cam

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I like my Aku boots from Snowgum. They suit me because I have wide toes and they are roomy at the toe end. Hard to give recommendations about boots. You really just have to try them on (and preferably walk on rough ground for at least a day in them) to get a really good idea. I have learned that in no cirumstaces do I want any sense of tightness at the toe end of the boot or I can practically guarantee my feet will have some sort issue after heavy walking! I lost a toenail once, after a mere 6 hour hike, in boots that started out feeling really comfy but turned out not be by days end.

ErichFromm

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I always line my heal and the outer sides of my toes with sports tape before going on a hike. Even the best boots can't stop your toes sliding forwards when going down steep terrain, or your heals mashing against the back of the boots when scrambling up mountains. Without the tape my skin is guaranteed to come off - with tape would barely know I had been hiking.... Just need to provide something else to take the friction between your feet and the boot rather than your skin.....

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have found two pairs of socks works the same (a little better for me) - a nice thin merino wool liner sock, and a thicker medium cushion merino wool main sock. Whenever I only wear the main sock I get that same problem :(

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I also use 2 pairs of socks, a thin merino liner and thicker woollen outer but also still tape a couple of spots just to be sure.

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I know most people like a high ankle boot but I bought a pair of 5 10 Camp 4 Vibram/Stealth C4 soled shoes a few years ago and haven't looked back.

They wouldn't be good for a 12 day slog with a 35 kilo pack but for sub 20 kilo pack weight and a few days walk they are excellent.

I have climbed up to around Grade 18 on them as well. The sticky rubber really helps when walking across rocks.

Comfortable right from the word go and very hard wearing.

The only issue is negligable seperation of the rubber lip over the top of the toe from the main body of the shoe. Although I attribute this to them going in the washing machine a few times.

Still on the origional laces too.

These are an older model now and you can get them rather cheap. The new model has a higher ankle support and I would love to try them out but I just can't kill my current pair!
Would also make a good canoe/kayak or caving shoe due to the great grip even in the wet.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I stopped by Kathmandu on the weekend. I think they have some good stuff and not so. You just need to give the gear a good eye over. I had their heavy duty boots and used them heavily for over 5 years. Eventually the toe started to come off as is common. I actually used them so much I wore a hole in the sole.

I went back this weekend to checkout their new model and wasn't really too stoked for what I wanted them for. The leather was much thinner and looked like it would probably breathe better but was quite soft. The new toe design its great but their were a few issues with the stitching also even on the display model. Im sure they would be ok for gentle hikes but I felt I would tear them up fairly fast.

I did get an old model of lightweight boots which looked pretty good. Their boots are made in China so you need to just keep your wits about you.

Their packs are made mostly in Vietnam and look pretty damn good actually for the price. I got a lightweight 40L for jenny and I will give it a smash this weekend in the mountains and report back.

BOD

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I have never owned anything like these.

Having seen people wear these in rainforests I don't think highly of them especially with the foot rot problems. Only use Magnum Jungle boots and German Army desert boots.

Still fond of my old Goodyear welted Rossi Adventurer bushwalking boots. Sadly not made anymore but still going strong

Anthiron

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I generally dislike Kathmandu. There is a cluster of 3 outdoor stores near where I live. Kathmandu is one of them but I never bother going in anymore.

I know most people prefer a high ankle boot for trekking (which I whole heartedly agree with for heavy packweights) however since buying a paid of 5.10 Camp 4 shoes with the Stealth C4 rubber edging I haven't turned back.

these are an older model and you can find them for about half what I paid now. Anyone who is familiar with 5.10 for their Climbing shoes knows about the sticky C4 rubber which is still great when wet which makes these great Canoe or Kayak shoes too!

Very well made and are even on the origional laces after about 3.5 years. The upper rubber surround above the toe is seperating from the main body of the shoe on mine slightly however I attribute this to them going in the washing machine a few times.

The new model has a high ankle and I would love to try them out but I just can't kill these ones!

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

MercuryFMJ

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I have some nice leather Kathmandu boots. I hate the store too but I went shopping around for boots at four different stores and the Kathmandu boots were way more comfortable than anything else. They are absolutely the most comfortable boots I've ever had, they support perfectly and they're not too stiff and heavy for running either. The soles are starting to wear out now because they're the only shoes I've worn for the last year, but the rest of the shoe is just fine. Next time I'm going to look for the old-style of boots with the sole sewed on so I can get them re-soled.

One thing I noticed when trying boots is that each brand tends to make their shoes in the same shape, so if one shoe is uncomfortable, all the others will have exactly the same problem in the same place.

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I really dislike "brand slamming" but Kathmandu is doing a great job of riding on their old great quality coat tails.
I remember when I was younger and right into serious trekking, Kathmandu was at the front of the pack with quality and innovative products. I think they are showing the results of trying to keep up with new companies copying great ideas and mass producing them to a price point.
I moved away from Kathmandu years ago due to the style of my bush work changing. I wanted heavier, more robust gear as I was no longer relying on carrying everything I needed. Recently, 5 products from K'du landed on the farm as gifts plus my bro buying gear for a New Years camping trip. To be honest, it's all cheap rebadged gear from China with a huge price tag that has been heavily reduced.
I jumped online to look at their website and the vast majority of their gear looks like it fits that model.
I was given a solar lighting set from the misses for Xmas. I quietly fell over when I looked at the price and then the quality. I did not let it slip to her as it's damn thoughtful that she got it for me. I'm glad she told me that she only paid $110 . For what I will use it for on the farm, it's a fairish price.
I just googled their boots and problems and their is a few unhappy walkers out there. I was probably more surprised on how the warranty department handled one of the cases. Apparently a user picked up a new set of boots for a 14 day trek and returned them with rusty lace grommets. The were rejected on the grounds that the shoes were not dried properly after getting them wet!? It could go either way as we will never know the full story, however, I remember the old K'du boots. They would last for years of abuse and it was worth replacing the sole when they wore out.

Now to be completely fair to K'du, I don't think it's their fault. Their are so many new players in the same market now and the global economy is changing. We also buy a lot of gear online from OS. I'm sure they had to reinvent themselves overnight to stay in the market. A lot of great brands are headed that way. They are the latest to join that list.

I think the real trick is to do your research on a specific products on line and work out if the price and quality suit you. Shoes are a tough one though. One person might say they feel like slippers and another might walk like a lame goat in them!

Now, I just read over this post again and don't really like the idea of putting it up. I am posting it so some people here will remember to do their research on the quality of their products and not rely on their previous experience they have had with that brand. K'du might still be just right for what you want out of your gear.
I promise I'm not trying to be nasty!
Ps.. K'du, please don't sue me! It's all my own opinion with your products and what I found on the net.
Pss.... Their is no blood left in my stones anyway!
Psss....moderators please delete this post if it's not appropriate!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I stopped by Kathmandu on the weekend. I think they have some good stuff and not so. You just need to give the gear a good eye over. I had their heavy duty boots and used them heavily for over 5 years. Eventually the toe started to come off as is common. I actually used them so much I wore a hole in the sole.

I went back this weekend to checkout their new model and wasn't really too stoked for what I wanted them for. The leather was much thinner and looked like it would probably breathe better but was quite soft. The new toe design its great but their were a few issues with the stitching also even on the display model. Im sure they would be ok for gentle hikes but I felt I would tear them up fairly fast.

I did get an old model of lightweight boots which looked pretty good. Their boots are made in China so you need to just keep your wits about you.

Their packs are made mostly in Vietnam and look pretty damn good actually for the price. I got a lightweight 40L for jenny and I will give it a smash this weekend in the mountains and report back.
Have used the pack on about half a dozen hikes now. Really good pack so far. Gets a bit much if you overweigh it but otherwise holding up and performing very well. This is it: http://www.kathmandu.com.au/packs-and-bags/packs/voltai-pack-black.html?___SID=U

Again they do some pretty good gear but they also have some dogs. Its not a good thing that you have to be so wary of what you buy. It would be nice if you could grab any thing of the shelf and be confident in it. It is what it is I suppose and in most cases priced to reflect that. If its a core piece of gear you can always shop elsewhere.

Danggali

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I wear Steel-Blue which are supplied by my employer. They are fairly exxy to buy yourself. around 200-250.

Steel toecaps, very light for a workboot, ankle high and water proof to the top. I wear them 7 days a week. (In fact, I own no other boot, even polished them for a wedding, and last week a funeral ...hahaa)

I buy the leather laces and the wool socks from the same company. never sweat, never smell. I live in the mountains and do a lot of bush walking in the region. The small brown snakes are deadly here and at least one person dies each summer from them. I wear denim and the boots and if I have ever been bitten then I don't know about it. The small brown only has small teeth and can't penetrate the boot or the denim (at least thats what I have been told and I hope it is so)

Workboots are so hi-tech design with air-suspension heels and the latest polymers that they really are good comfortable wearing in any situation. Also I lace my boots army-release-style so I only ever have one end to tie off and with the steel blue model that I buy there is a cleat that takes the single end. Never have to tie my boots.

I really recommend them.

Greg

Shazam

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Steel blue boots are great. Made in Indonesia ... and pricy but a nice boot. Have a pair of waggas and hobarts and the same pair pictured but in wheat suede. Waggas are my faves.