Hiking boots from Kathmandu - ummm

NatureNovice

Russell Coight
Reaction score
So serves me right for stepping foot in that God-forsaken overpriced "look at my gear" store... But I did it. And I purchased a women's pair of hiking boots. Had them just over two years now and they suck. They are uncomfortable to walk in, and my feet still feel sore after wearing them (even with thick socks). They feel as though I haven't worn them in yet (two years later..) ah well at least I can give them credit for longevity in that the things don't give, at all, in shape, form or flexibility. Sigh.

On the market for some new ones. Gave them a fair run.
Anyone else have the same thing with Kathmandu shoes? Or did I pick a dud pair?

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Never tried them. When I first started hiking bought myself a pair of Scarpa and have never looked at anything else. Although Scarpa are expensive, for me I have found they are worth every cent. My wife prefers Zamberlan because they fit her better but she has the same thoughts as me about her boots.

bobmouse

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
just a tip u probably know already,remember to try on shoes in the afternoon after your feet have swollen from the days walking. personally i don't like the rock hard hikers like scarpa. (just my opinion). i just bought a pair of hi-tec brand that i like. i've also bought from kathmandu and been happy too.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've got some & they're comfortable enough but they did start to peel at a few seams a bit after getting wet so I'll never trust them for an extended period out bush.

Cdustbehindme

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have a pair of Kathmandu hikers, pretty much their top of the range and I love them so far, given them a fair bashing too. Got the good old 60% off or something, but I'd never pay full price for anything in their store, not only because they all eventually come on sale but I don't think the gear Is worth their rec retail price... Same goes for the boots. $100 pair of theirs is probably only a $50 worth of shoes if that makes sense... That's just my opinion though :)

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm going to confess this but I actually wear womens boots . . . LOL not those kind of boots guys.

I have a small narrow foot (Size 6) :( and I couldn't find a pair of boots anywhere in mens that would fit me, after walking around for 12 hours looking.
I ended up buying a pair of womens Vasque Breeze hiking boots, I was pretty impressed with the 7 day deliver from the USA too !!
I'm very happy with my purchase, I saved about $220.00 buying online rather than retail in AU,These were $285.00 in store in sydney city.
So I went to the city and tried on a pair to get the correct size, came home and ordered them online and paid only $67.00 !!!! (discounted with email coupon)
These are a nice fitting boot and as they are made in the USA the come in a range of half sizes and also varying widths and an awesome Vibram sole.
They do come in a waterproof gore-tex version too.
I wore them for 6 months before I replaced the innersoles with some Superfeet Green ones :D

I bought them from sierra trading post

(No Affiliation)

Cheers,
Bezerker Viking.

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I used to have a pair of Columbia hiking boots that used to be like that. Even after a couple of years they still weren't quite "right". I have since bought a pair of hi-tecs too. They have been super comfy since day one. I did a lot of walking on that first day and I was expecting to get blisters seeing the shoes were new but I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't really need to break them in like some boots, they were "right" from the very start. I have since done many miles in them and I am very happy with them.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I had some goretex Vasques years ago, similar looking to those BV showed but not ladies boots as far as I know! Incredibly light, comfortable and waterproof when they were new, but gradually wore out. Now I have some Scarpas that have lasted almost 10 years - just not as comfortable when I go downhill with a heavy pack, my toes get crushed. I've tried different sock thicknesses and lacing approaches - may just get a bigger size next time.

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thankx Benny :p
My boots were broken in with an hour or two hiking, I didn't really notice it too much. I've had these wet to the sock but they do dry very quickly near a heat source like the fridge or bar heater.
These are very comfortable to wear though, I'm not one for all leather boots unless they are Doc Martins :)

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I've had great success with Scarpa and Mammut.

If they are all leather I have heard that you can soak them in a tub of water and then put them on and walk around a bit to help the leather form to fit the shape of your foot. Mind you I have never had to do this myself, only something I read a while back.

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

If they are all leather I have heard that you can soak them in a tub of water and then put them on and walk around a bit to help the leather form to fit the shape of your foot.
That's right it's called wet leather moulding also used for knife sheaths and many other leather products :D

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score

If they are all leather I have heard that you can soak them in a tub of water and then put them on and walk around a bit to help the leather form to fit the shape of your foot. Mind you I have never had to do this myself, only something I read a while back.
I use to do this back in the day in the UK,heavy leather boot where the norm back them. Breaking them in was a really big pain.I use to wear them round the house to the shops all sorts to break them in a just wee bit. I OZ these sort of boots are just to heavy most of the time for me.

Thankx Benny :p
My boots were broken in with an hour or two hiking, I didn't really notice it too much. I've had these wet to the sock but they do dry very quickly near a heat source like the fridge or bar heater.
These are very comfortable to wear though, I'm not one for all leather boots unless they are Doc Martins :)
Have to say I think Doc Martins would be really bad bush walking boots,the soles on them are just shocking!!!Just be careful drying out you boots near heaters or fires this is really bad for the leather.Just let them dry out naturally and the boots will last longer....:_sii:

Last edited:

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I don't wear Docs in the bush lol and my hiking boots are not made of leather.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a pair of boots from Katmandu and got very good mileage out of them. Maybe they just worked for my foot.

They eventually bit the dust after 5 years and I have recently replaced them with a pair of Asolo 520 TPS which I bought off gumtree for $100. They had been used once and put away. The soles were perished so I took a punt on them and got them resoled for $80. Not as pretty but $180 for these boots is not bad.

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
They are great boots blake. I love my beaten old pair

Its 2013 everyone, if the boots aren't comfortable when you try them on try another brand.
Go somewhere like kent street and try on every pair in your price range until you find a pair that feels good. They are the most important thing in your hiking kit

Last edited:

ErichFromm

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you do when wearing your boots. I do a lot of hiking and climbing over rocks and many times I've been grateful for the thick, grippy, soles of my Scarpa boots. They are leather and very comfortable but at the same time very heavy. Next time I'll probably buy synthetic as leather really is too heavy and non-breathing in this age of high tech materials:
asolo.jpg

i would never go cheap on boots - they are probably the most important piece of equipment you have if you're doing any sort of trecking.....