Hi from Sydney

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Arriving at BushcraftOz for the umpteenth time after a Google search I realized this is a forum I should join. Congrats on a great site! I really like the friendly and freely given advice on fire making, knives, shelter, gear and locations that are relevant to me.

Although I have done some decent walks in the past, such as in the Budawangs, I haven’t been hiking and camping as much as I’d like for a while, mostly due to work and family commitments. Fortunately I’ve lived in the Sutherland area for the last 10 years, on the edge of bushland above the Woronora river. One of the highlights of my week is an early morning run on the trails and paths with my dog. There’s something primeval about it (think I need to make a spear). Another is to watch the sun set behind the trees on the opposite side of the valley, while sitting round a fire out the back, which makes up for still being in the city.

Looking forward to learning a lot here - hope I can contribute at some point.

Cheers
Taplow

PS. Say what you will about Bear Grylls, I credit him at least in part with getting my 12 year old excited about bushcraft, to the point where we’re competing to start fires without matches, and going on bushwalks together with overnight camps. Even if he is a "showman" and does some crazy things, that’s worth a lot to me. My better half thinks he’s an idiot; I find him very entertaining.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Hello and welcome Taplow.
I agree with you on BG. I watch him with my son too ,we discus what he is doing and why its good or bad (understanding risk).
Together, we go 'Beyond Bear'

Hairy

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome mate! Great intro and good to meet you.

Great part of the world. I lived in Bonnet Bay for 18 years and I now live in Illawong so hello from a local.

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Taps.

I agree with both you and the wife - BG is an entertaining idiot :_lol:

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
G'day Taplow, and welcome to the forum!