hewing axe handle?

funkenstein

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am new to this site. From what i have seen this site is full of info on subjects that are close to my heart. My question is i have some hewing axes [broad,ades] and i am looking for info on where i can get an offset handle for my broad axe. i have not been able to even find any pictures , as i would make one if needed. Is there anyone on this site that might be able to help me with this? I would love to be able to use these axes. I am teaching myself through trial and error and some you tube vidoes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i am new to this site. From what i have seen this site is full of info on subjects that are close to my heart. My question is i have some hewing axes [broad,ades] and i am looking for info on where i can get an offset handle for my broad axe. i have not been able to even find any pictures , as i would make one if needed. Is there anyone on this site that might be able to help me with this? I would love to be able to use these axes. I am teaching myself through trial and error and some you tube vidoes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
There are I believe a variety of types of hewing axes, are you referring to the Broad Axe?
I make larger axe handles with much the same process as I make tomahawk helves.
Keith.

Askew

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I'm not aware of anyone making offset handles so making one yourself is probably the way to go. For pictures just try an image search on Google.
Check if the eye is in line with the blade, if it's offset a straight handle may work.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I've just had a look at some of the pictures - they look as though they've been bent over time with steam. I can't imagine they'd start carving across grain to make them - that would limit their strength. Maybe not?

Last edited:

funkenstein

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, sorry for the late reply. Yes it is a broad axe, single edge. The eye is square/inline with the blade. It is quite a bit bigger than the one pictured. I think that i will have to steam a more regular type of handle.

funkenstein

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi all, in case anyone else needs a handle i have found a company that supplies broad axe handles. They are called beaver tooth handle company.