here are my success vids with various strikers

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Olivemead FS2

BeaverBushcraft Old Nordic

BeaverBushcraft Traditional "P"

I have to say I prefer to use strikers in the nordic fashion (pinch grip) and put the flint at a very steep angle about 90 degrees and have to learn to slow down. I am also learning to preserve my edges as much as possible and use lighter strikes.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I reshot this video, initially disappointed in the sparking ability of this striker I have finally worked out how to get it to work

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
and now with my one finger sardinian, and for the first time ever I used amadou, interesting stuff, I will be buying more of it, really nice tinder takes a spark very easily and smolders hot. Pity it is so expensive.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
If I am repeating myself my apologies, tree fungi is a great tinder. Hard to find thanks to the prolonged drought and not seen any for a long time.

Does combust away very quickly in the tinder box so have to be quick with fire lighting if other fires have to be lit.

This is a piece I found.

Fungus.JPG

And here is a smaller one seen only a few months ago. Left it there hopeing it will grow more.

Fungus1 RESIZED.JPG

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
is that amadou mate? I understand it has to be processed properly to get to how I have it as shown in my videos. I also believe it only grows in colder climates, is that true?

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Truely do not know when the fungi shown in my photo is called amandou here in Australia. There are a number of different species and I am not an expert on this.

Amandou may be a specis from N. America. I have never seen or used amandou from America.

The fungi will take a flint and steel spark as it is however ignition is a lot faster and more reliable when charred.

As mentioned it combusts away very quickly so when charring pieces over a fire or gas stove have to be quick to pop the piece into the tinderbox so as to smother it straight away.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Chigger.
It's not amadou !
The fungi is probably Laetiporus portentosus (aka white punk fungus)

When dry, it is very light weight and very much like a piece of polystyrene foam ! The first time I found it, I thought it was stray rubbish !

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Yes was pretty sure the fungi I have was not called amadou in this country. Remember now an earlier discussion on fungii and the fungi Laetiporus portentosus as you mentioned is most likely what it is.

Hard stuff to find as of late.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
and my latest striker, the oval from BeaverBushcraft, bought as a pocket kit, I really like this little striker

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
getting embers with my new titanium striker

man I am loving my new titanium striker, very different to anything I have (and I have a heap of steel strikers to compare), very light and sort of feel strange in the pinch grip but I get lots of ember with it easily. I have added a leather thong to it, some flint, some amadou and char cloth and will be adding some jute as well.