Help setting up a late 80's webbing set

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently in the process of setting up some basic webbing for day walks. I am using a 1989 Australian issue bum bag which I picked up brand new as the base, and wanted to avoid cammo. I need to get ammo pouches to suit this but I am unsure what I need. The same generation pouches I believe are for the steyr ( I don't specifically need ammo pouches, I just assumed that was the only type of pouch I could get) but I cannot seem to find green ones in canvas, where they even made? I have two canteen pouches and a belt for the setup already but I also need a suitable harness and am unsure what will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
http://i.onfinite.com/gCyDKQfr.jpg

Is this what you are going for?
That looks slightly older than what I am currently looking at. The Butt Pack I have has fasted buckles on it. The early steyr pouches with fasted buckles look perfect but I cannot find them in OD, and am unsure wether they were ever made such. Although the fact I have an OD Butt Pack from 89 would suggest I could get the same in pouches. The attachment points which I think are for the harness are just 'd' rings and not the little eyelets like the Vietnam type kit.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Ok then I don't know what I am looking at then. I went basically from the pictured set up to the Aus Cam you are describing. There was no half way point for me.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Is that your setup Rurik?

No it was just a photo I pulled off the net but it was very similar. I had to hand it back to get the Auscam version. I ended up with two minimi pouches, two water bladers, a bum pack and a day pack. I could go out for days at a time with that setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Looks just like my Aus Cam set but a different colour. You will need a harness with the webbing strap not the metal clip. You might be lucky and be able to get some later green pouches with the web tape out the top and put your own clip on there.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
MDU, I wouldn't bother with the Steyr pouches. A) Would be a rare find if they exist at all. You would be looking at SLR pouches most likely. B) These pouches are too small for any real use. You would be better looking at Minimi pouches (definitely only in DPCU but you might get now in multicam and DPDU). Much bigger and more versatile.
IMHO, for just a day hike kit, your bum bag would carry pretty much everything you need. I used to carry my hootchie, a light raincoat and half a rationpack no problems but that was a more "modern" version, which might have been bigger. Stick a water bottle with a cups canteen and your knife on a belt with the bum bag and you should have heaps of carriage.
I always rated the bum bag. It was great for carrying loads but a pita when you had to do the run, down, crawl stuff.
Speak with Thrud. He has a heap of different pouches and some of them are awesome.
Cheers
Bloffy

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have found a couple of SLR pouches but they all seem to be very heavily used. You are most likely right about using just the bum bag with a bottle pouch. Plus I also have a first aid kit pouch to add as well. My original plan was just to use the bum bag like a satchel with a shoulder strap but wanted to try out the webbing idea.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Why don't you see if you can get High Range Outdoors to make you some of their universal canteen pouches with a D Ring at the top. It could clip on your belt and then run some webbing tape onto the harness

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score

Looking at one of mine you could but two D rings at the top of the molly and then run the Alice belt between the first and third strap.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Why don't you see if you can get High Range Outdoors to make you some of their universal canteen pouches with a D Ring at the top. It could clip on your belt and then run some webbing tape onto the harness

I did think about that but as far as I know Benny doesn't do anything in canvas. I specifically wanted canvas because I like the aesthetics and was thinking of using wax to waterproof it.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I've got 2 SLR Basic pouches but they're from the late 70's which appears to be earlier than you're looking for. Also a bum bag and water bottles and covers from the same era. The only think I don't have is the "H" harness. I'm not using or planning on using any of this gear so if anyone is interested, let me know.
I need to reduce the amount of weight I carry due to advancing years. Damn shame because this gear will outlive me.

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Being that era you could also try the M16 / M60 pouches as well however not quite as big as the SLR pouches.

They both out in canvas and early nylon with early fastex clips, many also had grenade sleeves on either side.

Also you can go for the BCB / Pattern 58 British military pouches as well that would also suit.

If you get your hands on an old minimi pouch, you could possibly try dyeing it but not sure how it would take with the nylon.

Next time I'm up at the oldies, if I get a chance I'll go through mine and the old mans service footlockers and see if we've got any surplus pouches left

"Never under estimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you"

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I did find these not sure how well they would work:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371773950235

The rear of those SLR pouches are the same as the early BCB Brit pouches, downside is the don't have a true Alice clip set up on the rear.

This is what the rear of them generally looks like under the flap, this is the back of my Crusader pouch

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The rear of those SLR pouches are the same as the early BCB Brit pouches, downside is the don't have a true Alice clip set up on the rear.

This is what the rear of them generally looks like under the flap, this is the back of my Crusader pouch

How on earth does that attach to your web belt?

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
My apologies, it's the Brit PLCE system. This is how they fit to your belt