Help Needed With Rawhide Drum Making....

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay so wanted a have a go at making a shamanic style rawhide drum.This style of drum is used in many part of the world from Mexico to Mongolia....

As you can see there are to basic parts the hide and the wooden loop often made with ash. I got the rawhide very easily and am going to use a local kangaroo hide ,but you could use goat or deer. I am find the wooden loop part really hard to get! So there a few places online that sell the drum loops but they all are in the USA and shipping is $40 or over.So I am on the hunt for a local suppler of these wooden drum loops.If you know of one can you give me a heads up..

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Drum in action,,,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Ummm. Maybe go to Spotlight and get an embroidery loop. Not sure how much, but would have to be cheaper $6-$10. Good for a starter, I would tnink. If it works, then spend the readies.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
what about kids tambereens maybe able to get from a dollar store or The Salvos?

You could try get in touch with a Music department at a university or what about a local "mens shed"