Help deciding between two hiking/backpack hunting packs

carious

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I've been in the market for a new backpack hunting and 3-10+ day hiking pack and have narrowed it down to two that I like. However I've been having trouble deciding and wondered if anyone had any experience with either of the packs below.

The first choice was the new Crossfire DG-16 Long Range which I think is a bit above 85L with the lid, the cost is great because it's AUD and the shipping isn't going to be a nightmare and I've heard great things about their older packs. The only thing is I was worried about it not being quite as big as the other choice and I'm not sure if it compresses down as much as the AMR below.

The second choice is the Kifaru AMR which I love the pack design for, but the currency conversion and shipping will be a killer. It compresses down to nothing judging by the pictures and what reviewers have said, I'm just not sure if the frame is as high quality as the crossfire one seeing as the DG-16 is designed by the guy from Wilderness Equipment who has a great reputation from what I've read.

I'm inclined to go with the Crossfire pack but before I bite the bullet can anyone weigh in and help me out with any advice or opinions, thanks.

carious

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I would also be inclined to check out benny's packs at High Range Outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a look at his packs and they look like a good Australian made daypack to get in the future, but they just aren't anywhere near enough volume for what I'm after.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The first choice was the new Crossfire DG-16 Long Range which I think is a bit above 85L with the lid, the cost is great because it's AUD and the shipping isn't going to be a nightmare and I've heard great things about their older packs.
I seem to recall for a while they were selling Mystery Ranch stuff. I think they may have even had some of their own branded stuff made by Mystery Ranch (same as Camelbak did for a while with certain products) but I can't be certain as I didn't pay too much attention as their prices were way too high and MR would no longer sell direct so I moved on. Just wanted to mention it in case their products are no longer of the same quality if you're going off past reputation. I have no idea as I have no experience with them. I do know they're no longer the MR distributor.

Kifaru I have one pack and a few other products. All high quality but I have no direct experience with the AMR you're looking at.

That's about all the advice I can give.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Last edited:

carious

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Yeah I took a look at them when I was deciding between them and Kifaru but I prefer the design of AMR a bit more than the KUIU packs I looked at. @Redtail how do you find their frame when you haul a heavy load?

They make some good kit though from the sounds of it, I was actually thinking of getting some of their pants.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
@carious ...

The heaviest load I've carried, and will likely ever carry, is around 18kg. I'm primarily a bushwalker and hiker, covering around 15-20km a day on track, less off-track.
I was impressed with the load distribution of the CF frame, and the modular setup. I have both the 1850 and the 3200. When I use the 1850 for dayhikes, it's without the frame but does use the same hip belt. Kuiu have a very clever attachment system, btw.

I used to have a 45L Mystery Ranch Bighorn, and in my earlier days, an Alpine Lowe 75L hiking pack. I really like the trifold opening on the MR, but the pack itself was too heavy duty for my needs. The Alpine had an excellent harness, but I disliked the top only loading. The Kuiu works very well for my needs with the panel loading.

The 1850 has been through some scratchy stuff and so far unharmed. I would expect the 3200 to perform the same but I'm unlikely to be in that situation.

Another option is the Alice frame stuff. Have a look at Doc's and Mountainwalker's(?) reviews on that stuff. I've been out with Doc and Uneekwahn, and they swear by it for load bearing.

HTH!

Jazz The Boxer

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I hope everyone that contributed to this thread feel super guilty about adding things to my "wish" list. LOL - I have a tab on my browser that needs to be culled but there's already 5 bags on it and no, I'm not trying to choose between them - I want them all :_lol:

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Given how much I've spent on packs over the years I don't feel guilty at all LOL.

I did largely solve that issue by buying "one pack to rule them all" (Mystery Ranch NICE frame with CrewCab and Cerberus bags as well as load shelf) but I do still have a few other packs even though that one can do everything and I am occasionally still tempted to buy something else.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Where are you located? I've got an OD Kif Duplex frame I'd be happy to move on.

carious

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Where are you located? I've got an OD Kif Duplex frame I'd be happy to move on.
I went ahead and bought the DG16 by Crossfire and haven't taken it out on a proper trip yet, just a few short hikes around home but I'm really happy with it. The pack is really well manufactured and I love the design, looking forward to taking it out on some longer trips hopefully soon.

Thanks for the input everyone and sorry it took so long for me to reply.

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I went ahead and bought the DG16 by Crossfire and haven't taken it out on a proper trip yet, just a few short hikes around home but I'm really happy with it. The pack is really well manufactured and I love the design, looking forward to taking it out on some longer trips hopefully soon.

Thanks for the input everyone and sorry it took so long for me to reply.
I'd be interested to hear what you think of the new crossfire pack. I've got one of the older dg3's and really like some of the design features but could never get it to fit me 100%

Military Gear are having a big sale on Mystery Ranch which I would have highly recommend. I used them extensively across the middle east while contracting and put them thru hell, never let me down and were very comfortable with heavy loads.

http://www.militarygear.com.au/brands/Mystery-Ranch.html

http://www.militarygear.com.au/copy-of-mystery-ranch-nice-wolf-alpha-bvs-multicam/

http://www.militarygear.com.au/mystery-ranch-nice-6500-coyote/

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I was going to say why do you need such an over engineered military pack unless you are thinking of invading a small country.
If you like wilderness equipment then the mountain pack is good.

http://wildernessequipment.com.au/detail.php?Code=Mountain%20Expedition

And half the price. I've used mine in Nepal and it's fantastic..

Swampy
Reliability and durability are two major factors for myself. I use hiking packs when walking/backpacking but found that these don't stand up as well in the hunting in the scrub . Your mileage will vary but i was going thru a pack a season when using lighter hiking style packs, usually due to the fabric failing (rips and tears). Running my MR or HRO packs, i dont have these issues

carious

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear what you think of the new crossfire pack. I've got one of the older dg3's and really like some of the design features but could never get it to fit me 100%

Military Gear are having a big sale on Mystery Ranch which I would have highly recommend. I used them extensively across the middle east while contracting and put them thru hell, never let me down and were very comfortable with heavy loads.

http://www.militarygear.com.au/brands/Mystery-Ranch.html

http://www.militarygear.com.au/copy-of-mystery-ranch-nice-wolf-alpha-bvs-multicam/

http://www.militarygear.com.au/mystery-ranch-nice-6500-coyote/
I've only taken it out on a couple of hill hikes but it is pretty good so far, still getting used to it though. The frame is really comfortable and snug but might be a bit small if you're a 6"4 giant or have a really long torso, I think it could do with being a bit longer so the load lifters are up a bit higher although I haven't fully figured out it's adjustments yet and I'm not a pack designer.
The pack itself is put together really well though, really liking the design of the pack and the zips especially on the side for easy access to the center of the pack if you don't feel like taking everything out through the top to get to something in the middle and they slide as smooth as silk but I guess that's to be expected when it's new. It's also really compressible, although probably not quite as much as the Kifaru AMR but I've taken a half load and compressed it down to daypack mode and it did well, wasn't bouncing around noticeably. So I'll see how it holds up in a couple of months but overall I'm really happy with it.

I was going to say why do you need such an over engineered military pack unless you are thinking of invading a small country.
If you like wilderness equipment then the mountain pack is good.

http://wildernessequipment.com.au/de...n Expedition

And half the price. I've used mine in Nepal and it's fantastic..

Swampy
Main reason I got it was for hunting and I need it to be bombproof because of hunting in thick, close country where you're bound to get a stick jammed in the side of your pack so I wanted something I knew would last.
For hiking etc the Wilderness Equipment ones look amazing and designed by the same person as the DG16, I'll probably end up getting one of those too, but this pack was mainly for backpack hunting.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Fair point on the hunting..

The WE mountain pack is bombproof and with dpm cover would do just as well..

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Good on you man. I got to play with one the other week. Outstanding build quality & features Crossfire are renowned for.