HELP ... broken gaiter strap

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a pair of Sea to Summit Gaiters, had them for a few years know

and they are great but the boot under straps are on the last legs ..

checking the their site they are out of stock of straps, any you guys know another aussie seller OR

is there a DIY fix? i dont know of?

have seen some on ebay and they seem cheep so is there different size?

cheers and thanks MOZZ

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mozzie,

For years I didn't have any straps at all on my gaiters and they worked just fine.
But mine have a hook at the front which grabs the front of the lacing, so they stay in place, no problems

Although they do (did) push up when going through things like snow which you tend to sink into, so I added some old phone wire and a toggle - which has been in place for many years now and works just fine.

Phone wire ? Yes - because I had some (from the old home phone) and because its multi strand copper wire which remains flexible.

Those knots don't look too good ? Yes, but the wire is still stiff enough that the copper holds the knots just fine.

Like I say the wire had been there for many years of hard use and its still working just fine !
27243 27244

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Aussie, was thinking of not having the under boot strap,:unsure:
just doing away with it and see how it goes, my gaiters have the front hook.

I dont tramp snow, but i do push through dense under growth,
i also use these gaiters when im doing "bush regen" with my local bush care crew.
Lantana is my nemesis and I hate wild asparagus lol

Like your gaiters they look well used and still going strong (y)

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hey mozzie, the locals here in tassie use 8mm shock cord. Most walkers wear gaiters here. Years ago I tried it not thinking it would last long - it lasted for years! Of course this stuff is awesome to have around anyway - lots of uses. The phone wire looks awesome too. I imagine phone wire of that length (multiple strands of it) would have more potential uses than short lengths of shock cord away from home though. The shock cord is just another option. When mine wears out I'll try the phone cord, I actually have lots of it from the days of dial up internet :)

Last edited: