Heads up - Cheapish Explorer socks

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Guys,

If you have a Reject Shop near you, it's worth checking out the sock/undies section.

I just bought 3 pairs of Holeproof Explorer "Copper" socks for $7 each, which is the cheapest I've seen them.

I've been transitioning from old army issue and disposals store "army" socks to mainly woolen Explorers this year and the difference has been immeasurable. I whinged previously about blisters on a recent 20-odd km walk and it appears my old faithful socks may have been at least partially to blame.

A wet beach landing in Broken Bay followed by a combination (little) free climb up a sandstone cliff and a couple of hours' bushwalk to a certain site with wet Wellco boots and wet socks left me with nothing more than prune feet - no blisters or hotspots. If I'd done this in my other socks, I would have been feeling it ;)

Note: Although not advertised as such, the Reject Shop explorers are factory seconds. The defects are no more serious than an errant thread or two inside the sock which can be clipped out with a pair of scissors.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
There is a reason they are cheap i think, Explorers used to last the proverbial 10,00klicks, my last set lasted about a month or less than 500 kilometres.
They are no longer a well made sock and some of the Chinese stuff is even poorer, very poor QC I think, but also poor quality wool compared to even a few years ago.
I bought about 20 pairs on special and i think the next socks i buy will be very different

Last edited:

Mopoke

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks chutes, there is a Reject Shop near me. Also a Dimmeys, and they had all Explorer's for $4.99 last week.

I got a couple. [There is no embarrassed smiley.]

Moondog, Bonds factory is not far from me, they make Holeproof and a few other brand names. Been there since the 1920's, they moved most of it to China a couple of years ago.

Lots of jobs lost apart from quality. Very sad to see now they are selling off the surrounding land.

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
There is a reason they are cheap i think, Explorers used to last the proverbial 10,00klicks, my last set lasted about a month or less than 500 kilometres.
They are no longer a well made sock and some of the Chinese stuff is even poorer, very poor QC I think, but also poor quality wool compared to even a few years ago.
I bought about 20 pairs on special and i think the next socks i buy will be very different
I found the same thing...Explorers use to be great, but not any more.

If you want good socks that is impossible to get blisters in, try Thorlos...they're expensive but work well....marathon runners use them all the time. I wore them when I played competitive squash.

http://www.thorlo.com/hiking-socks.php

Last edited:

Burnsy

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Anyone got any info on the different types of explorer socks? I have been wearing them for over 20 years but have also found them to have not lasted as long of late. If you check the holeproof site there are heaps of wool blend options but is there really any difference between them. I really like the way the double layer construction of the explorers feel but at $12 a pair for something that seems to now be a mass produced Chinese item I am looking for another option.

I want them as a hard wearing every day workboot sock rather than a hiking sock, anyone got any other suggestions that i should try. I looked at the Thorlo site and I am to scared to order a pair as I have never found a ribbed sock that feels anywhere near as good as the explorer type construction.

Browny

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Ex explorer fan here also. Used to swear by them, spend most of my time in boots, for work or leisure, and they were awesome and great value.

As said, they have now become just another pair of socks. Will be following up on the above link ( dated as it is ) and am happy to recieve any other suggestions.
Read THIS thread for further info, but I still want more options........ Im greedy.

Kindlling

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Ex explorer fan here also. Used to swear by them, spend most of my time in boots, for work or leisure, and they were awesome and great value.

As said, they have now become just another pair of socks. Will be following up on the above link ( dated as it is ) and am happy to recieve any other suggestions.
Read THIS thread for further info, but I still want more options........ Im greedy.
If you go for Explorer socks these days , get the dark grey tone with lighter shade grey , I think they're called 'thermal' and say on the pack 'with wool' . "instead of the other myriad blends'
They are still good .

They are about 19$ a pair now I think ,
I've trialed them for a while now, and they are proper.
As good as they used to be, the price is a bit of a jump, they will out last many pairs of cheaper work socks however.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Guys,

If you have a Reject Shop near you, it's worth checking out the sock/undies section.

I just bought 3 pairs of Holeproof Explorer "Copper" socks for $7 each, which is the cheapest I've seen them.

I've been transitioning from old army issue and disposals store "army" socks to mainly woolen Explorers this year and the difference has been immeasurable. I whinged previously about blisters on a recent 20-odd km walk and it appears my old faithful socks may have been at least partially to blame.

A wet beach landing in Broken Bay followed by a combination (little) free climb up a sandstone cliff and a couple of hours' bushwalk to a certain site with wet Wellco boots and wet socks left me with nothing more than prune feet - no blisters or hotspots. If I'd done this in my other socks, I would have been feeling it ;)

Note: Although not advertised as such, the Reject Shop explorers are factory seconds. The defects are no more serious than an errant thread or two inside the sock which can be clipped out with a pair of scissors.
Hey chutes, I've never understood walkers who put heaps of stuff on their feet and cook them. I've only ever used thinnish cotton, my favorite for years have been the $1.00 socks from rivers. If I know it is going to be wet, I use these really thin nylon oversocks that are supposed to wick moisture away - I wear them as normal socks. For sure, cotton is no good if you know it is going to be wet. I have done two week long walks with big days - others around me have suffered. Just a thought.