BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

haversack bushcraft/survival kit

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I recently purchased a SAS respirator Haversack off ebay for the specific reason of gathering some of my survival pocket kits together(I found that my cargo pocket kits added too much bulk to my pants pockets, so I decided to put them in a pack rather then having them in pockets. I also found I could add a few essential items). Weight of kit is 2.25 KG's.Add some food and water and I would be very confident of being well equiped for an over nighter/week end trip(total weight with water and food would be around 6KG's, not a heavy weight to carry)
here is the kit, front with BK-2 for size comparison.
2012-01-16_07-15-54_281.jpg

back of kit and back of BK-2
2012-01-16_07-16-08_375.jpg

2012-01-16_07-18-15_230.jpg

contents (T-B/L-R)
Lyman diamond sharpening rod
1/2"x5"ferro rod and EzeEdge sharpener/striker
12' paracord
Mora 2010 Bushcrafter(back up fixed blade)
100'paracord
fatwood shavings
Ferrino Rider bivvy bag
CRKT Eat'N tool
3xfatwood heart wood sticks
Shamwow
pocket sling shot
personal survival kit
personal firstaid kit
wet wipes
survival blanket bag

will be adding(on order) 600LM focusable head light(3xAA), 6 spare batteries, 40 Oz SS drinking container(wide mouth), Pathfinder stove/stove top, SS cup(that fits the bottom of the 40 Oz container)
PFK
2011-11-24_09-19-43_730.jpg

PSK
2011-07-03_21-42-52_467.jpg

2011-07-03_21-18-45_546.jpg

2011-07-03_21-27-16_197.jpg

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Crikey,

If I ever get stuck someplace I hope you are not too far away! You take being prepared to new levels! My own kit is very much more rudimentary!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow. A very impressive kit there waveman. Can i ask you about the Haversack from a comnfort perspective? Ive never really used one of these for a long period of time but I always find single strap bag to iritate one side so you need to keep moving from shoulder to shoulder. Is that just the nature of these packs or is there a trick to it im missing?

Would be keen to get your thoughts on this.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice setup.

What sort of closure does the bag have - is it a zip up ?

Just a few thoughts :

I'd consider a cigarette lighter and / or some matches too; and perhaps a candle and some more tinder (I see you have a couple of quick tinders and fatwood).
I prioritize fire lighting quite high on my survival requirements because it provides signalling as well as warmth, psychological reassurance, a reason to stay put and not move around etc

A lighter or match along with commercial tinder will get a fire going in adverse conditions very quickly, and can be used by a “novice” far more easily that a fire steel and they may not know what fatwood is (?). Just because you carry the kit does not necessarily mean you will be the one best positioned to use it. I’d certainly keep the firesteel, but consider the lighter/matches.

Signal mirror ?
Hydration supplements (eg Hydrolite) ?
Sugar lollies (eg fruit tingles – sugar, salt, long life, and appeal to kids)?
An Oven bag (the type you cook a chook in) is a useful addition. There are very compact, robust and can be used to carry and heat water in
I assume you are carrying any medications you may need, and perhaps some meds if you have a companion who requires meds ?
Cable ties are always handy, as is a meter or 2 of gaffa tape.
Paper and pencil. (Waterproof paper ?)
Safety Pins
Fresnel lens
Emergency Contact Numbers

I’m sure I’ll think of more just after I post …..

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
What sort of closure does the bag have - is it a zip up ?
both velcro and snap clips

I'd consider a cigarette lighter and / or some matches too; and perhaps a candle and some more tinder (I see you have a couple of quick tinders and fatwood).
I prioritize fire lighting quite high on my survival requirements because it provides signalling as well as warmth, psychological reassurance, a reason to stay put and not move around etc

A lighter or match along with commercial tinder will get a fire going in adverse conditions very quickly, and can be used by a “novice” far more easily that a fire steel and they may not know what fatwood is (?). Just because you carry the kit does not necessarily mean you will be the one best positioned to use it. I’d certainly keep the firesteel, but consider the lighter/matches.
I forgot to mention that I have recently added a clipper lighter and a bandanna to the PSK
Signal mirror ?
in the PSK
Hydration supplements (eg Hydrolite) ?
Sugar lollies (eg fruit tingles – sugar, salt, long life, and appeal to kids)?
will be adding a 40 Oz SS bottle shortly, lollies will be added just before I go out, otherwise they tend to go out of date or melt etc.
An Oven bag (the type you cook a chook in) is a useful addition. There are very compact, robust and can be used to carry and heat water in
I assume you are carrying any medications you may need, and perhaps some meds if you have a companion who requires meds ?
Cable ties are always handy, as is a meter or 2 of gaffa tape.
Paper and pencil. (Waterproof paper ?)
Safety Pins
Fresnel lens
Emergency Contact Numbers
all in the PSK and PFK

Blake the shoulder strap issue is a valid one, but this type of haversack has both belt attachment and a shoulder strap(as well as a leg strap)so the weight can be distributed between your belt and shoulder, and the leg strap can stop the whole kit from "flapping' while running etc.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
just added a 800ml SS bottle(will be replacing it with a 40 Oz bottle from Pathfinder) and a bamboo tweezers eating tool (as per Dave Canterbury's thinking)(ignore the cat, she loves coming around me when I am taking pics...LoL)
2012-01-18_12-04-07_290.jpg

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have one of these sacks knocking about. It si a British army S10 respirator bag as issued to everyone not just special forces. It was desined to go on a belt or worn with it's own strap. They are good for a bit of a walk for a few hours but I found that the kit I carried in it went in to a day sack and was a lot better to carry. Mines in OD Green and Im willing to give it away if anyone wants it. Just pay for the P&P. But I have to find it first.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
"Can i ask you about the Haversack from a comnfort perspective? Ive never really used one of these for a long period of time but I always find single strap bag to iritate one side so you need to keep moving from shoulder to shoulder. Is that just the nature of these packs or is there a trick to it im missing?

Would be keen to get your thoughts on this. "
Blake i use a mail sachetal type bag regularly which I suppose is the same. The trick is hung on opposite shoulder to the side it hangs and that is all you carry carry the bag to your rear till you want access it. Very comfortable.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Same as my Dutch army one, I use mine to carry the hobo stove and billy but we seem to be thinking along the same lines as my kit is similar ( but not as refined )

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
This is my adoption of Dave Canterbury's 15 piece kit(actually the 5"C's", then the 10"C's" with the redundant 5"C's", but ends up with 17 pieces in total), I don't include wool blankets in this size kit.