BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Have the US Marine Corps Decided To Give Troops Quality Gear? FILBE Pack System

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
How times change - that pack looks like a military rip-off of classic bushwalking/mountaineering sacks. With the exception of the add-on pouches and ALICE webbing, the sack and harness is stock standard recreational design. Good to see that the Yank military is looking after their grunts in at least one aspect, hope ours follow suit - perhaps after extensive field testing by the Jarheads. (That dry weight is pretty heavy for a recreational sack though)

This is what the Brit army did. So many squaddies in the 80's (My time in the firm) were getting the Berghaus Crusader and vulcans that the Army just went well lets make it for them and that is how the PLCE bergens came about. Same as the SAS windproof smock so many normal infantry were using them in the field they said lets just make a windproof smock as standard. Most kit now days come from the fact that the average squaddie uses civvy kit as it is not better but more comfortable.

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
What Swampy says is absolutely true, atleast during my time as well (80's to 2000). Same as in bushcrafting, you take what works for you and have enough intestinal fortitude to ignore that what does not, despite what "they" say that you need. Only you knows what works best for you and it is you that has to suffer the consequences if your gear choice does not work out in the end. With this in mind, I am going to shamelessly plug Templar's AT&NTW group. We work do determine the best gear based on traditional usage, but have the options (thus the "Neo-Trad" part of the the name) to use what actually works best in each situation and screw the dogma. Only by experimenting between the trad and neo-trad will allow the individual to best acheive their own bushcrafting goals (atleast that is my personal perspective - Templar can best describe it much more elequently)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
What Swampy says is absolutely true, atleast during my time as well (80's to 2000). Same as in bushcrafting, you take what works for you and have enough intestinal fortitude to ignore that what does not, despite what "they" say that you need. Only you knows what works best for you and it is you that has to suffer the consequences if your gear choice does not work out in the end. With this in mind, I am going to shamelessly plug Templar's AT&NTW group. We work do determine the best gear based on traditional usage, but have the options (thus the "Neo-Trad" part of the the name) to use what actually works best in each situation and screw the dogma. Only by experimenting between the trad and neo-trad will allow the individual to best acheive their own bushcrafting goals (atleast that is my personal perspective - Templar can best describe it much more elequently)

I have to agree here with you Bubba getting back to the very basic equipment list is a great way to overcome the Modern day challenge of trying to pick items . The old KISS (keep it simple stupid) saying really comes to the forground in the AT&NTW group. When you know and comfortable with the basics of gear anything else is a bonus and enhances the future trips.
Today there is just so many choices it does unforteunatly make things a little more difficult to pick from for such a simple activity as Bushcraft.... what knife, what pack , what stove, what sleeping bag, what tent the list, goes on keep it simple try things out and enjoy your time in the bush.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
keep it simple try things out and enjoy your time in the bush.

Pretty much my theory. Gotta continually work on keeping it simple thing but I'm getting there.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Most US Army gear is top of the line stuff but this pack looks a bit over designed.I wonder what the price tag is for this??They moved on a just wee bit since the days of the Alice pack!!!!

downunderrunner

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
that things a monster! to much space to tempt grunts to pack useless ****! i carried my old mans AUS pack all through my hitch (the vietnam era, green canvas jobbie) and never had an issue! basic load on web, spare ammo in pack, 5 day scran, 2 pair socks, 2 pair jocks, 2 hootchies, 4 canteens, poncho liner and ruberised ground sheet, all good for a month in the scrub!
with re sup on scran of course

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
It is massive, if they come up with the same design & features in 60L version I recon she'd be just about perfect, for me anyway.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I do like the DG3 & even tried it out but for whatever reason we couldn't get it to fit right so had to give it a miss. Same thing happened when I checked out the One Planet packs. I was dead keen on getting an Aussie made pack but just couldn't get the right fit.