Hathcock Sniper

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1456006209197.jpg

Had a few beers yesterday and woke up with a PayPal notification on my phone for an order with Pocket Predator. I've made far worse decisions when inebriated but now I'm a bit worried if it will even get here.

I live in QLD and was wondering if any of you gents had ordered one of these and/or if you had any issues?

Cheers
Phil

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Victoria's laws in this regard are ludicrous. A slingshot that is home made for personal use is OK, provided it doesn't have a wrist brace fitted, but one that is commercially manufactured and intended for distribution, even without a wrist brace is banned. That is of course unless the device is called a 'bait caster' and not a slingshot in which case it's OK. Mind you even then, a quick look at arborist suppliers shows plenty of slingshots.
One year at Shot Show, the components for slingshots were offered for sale and Vic Pol, who had a stand at the show were fine with it, because the components weren't assembled into a functioning slingshot.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Same as gun parts which can be imported into Australia but not a gun that is built.
Only the most minor of parts can be imported without the relevant permit(s). I had to buy 2 springs several years ago. No permits required though. If I'd been after a barrel or bolt etc, that would have been a very different matter.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Reading the Western Australian Weapons Legislation, I take it that a non commercially produced slingshot without an arm brace is legal.

Catapult (with an arm brace)

A catapult made or modified to be used with an arm brace that fits or rests on the forearm to support the wrist from the tension of the elastic material used to discharge the missile (e.g. the article commonly known as the “Saunders Falcon Hunting Sling”).

Commercially produced catapult (without an arm brace)

A catapult —

(a) made or modified to be used without the arm brace referred to in item 5; and

(b) made for commercial distribution.

That's awesome. Im gunna check this "discretely" with a copper mate of mine. As long as it is not a commercial unit and does not have an arm brace im good to go. Never was one for an arm brace any way. Been looking into slingshots lately. If it's legit, it will be awesome.
Does anyone from WA know of anything different?
Cheers
Bloffy

Last edited:

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have never had a problem importing triggers, and all manner of other parts.
You've probably just been lucky (sort of, customs actually check a very small percentage of inbound parcels). While a lot of parts don't require anything, plenty do require at least an import permit.

Re slingshots, in NSW they're legal if homemade as a childrens toy and used for play. Is a toy limited to use by children? What's the definition of "play"? I could make a pretty decent laminated slingshot if I wanted to.

Interesting that the site linked above shows those pocket shots as legal in NSW because they don't have a Y frame LOL. Wonder how long it'll be before someone notices that loop hole and changes the law to ban them.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Why not just make one. If your remove the band between uses then it is just a stick.
That is just what I am going to do. Will try and find some time and knock one out. Doesn't seem to be a limit on materials so might bend some mild steel , or I might go for wood. Will see what I have in the shed. Shame really. I pruned a tree out the front recently and there were stacks of Y branches I could have used. Might have a look this weekend and see if more pruning iscrequired. Lol. That'll shock the wife....
Was watching YouTube sling shooters and there were some interesting accuracy hints which I had never heard before. If I can find them, I will post them up.
Cheers
Bloffy

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
That is just what I am going to do. Will try and find some time and knock one out. Doesn't seem to be a limit on materials so might bend some mild steel , or I might go for wood. Will see what I have in the shed. Shame really. I pruned a tree out the front recently and there were stacks of Y branches I could have used. Might have a look this weekend and see if more pruning iscrequired. Lol. That'll shock the wife....
Was watching YouTube sling shooters and there were some interesting accuracy hints which I had never heard before. If I can find them, I will post them up.
Cheers
Bloffy
The guy who makes the Hathcock has some excellent videos:
https://youtu.be/f6q6LCexg00

The rest of his channel is really good as well. Lights matches and cuts card with his slingshot!

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I've got slingshots from A+ imported from usa to Queensland and they are made of wood. If it comes through let us know as I've been looking to get a hathcock sniper

n5750547

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I've got slingshots from A+ imported from usa to Queensland and they are made of wood. If it comes through let us know as I've been looking to get a hathcock sniper
Will do. They got in touch today and said it will ship in 3 weeks so I will let you know how it goes then.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Need a cheap ball bearing supplier now. Saw a great video while home crook the other week where a bloke had his target(s) pinned to a blanket. The base of the blanket was loosely pinned up, with one end higher than the other and a bucket positioned on the lower side. As he shot, the blanket absorbed the shock of the shots and they fell into the pocket formed in the bottom, rolled down and into the bucket. He could stand there and shoot a bucket of ball bearings (in theory), walk up, change buckets and keep shooting. Pretty cool way to get your eye in. He was dynamite over a range of distances but must have gone through a shedload of tin cans and paper targets. He didn't miss much.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think that Gelandangan sold or sells these, I had a look at his posts, but couldn't find the one I thought I remembered. Might be worth a PM.

Edit: Found this on his website http://www.gelandangan.netau.net/1_5_Common-Products.html

@Bloffy I know you have a Prison down in Albany, but I am not visiting you if you get nicked...

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Need a cheap ball bearing supplier now. Saw a great video while home crook the other week where a bloke had his target(s) pinned to a blanket. The base of the blanket was loosely pinned up, with one end higher than the other and a bucket positioned on the lower side. As he shot, the blanket absorbed the shock of the shots and they fell into the pocket formed in the bottom, rolled down and into the bucket. He could stand there and shoot a bucket of ball bearings (in theory), walk up, change buckets and keep shooting. Pretty cool way to get your eye in. He was dynamite over a range of distances but must have gone through a shedload of tin cans and paper targets. He didn't miss much.
Cheers
Bloffy
You can use carpet too !
Its a bit tougher, cheap (free if someone you know is getting new carpet) and most people don't mind leaving out in the weather.

Carpet will also work with arrows, esp if you use field points (and you have a bow ...)

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I think that Gelandangan sold or sells these, I had a look at his posts, but couldn't find the one I thought I remembered. Might be worth a PM.

Edit: Found this on his website http://www.gelandangan.netau.net/1_5_Common-Products.html

@Bloffy I know you have a Prison down in Albany, but I am not visiting you if you get nicked...
They've got to catch me first. Bawahahahaha.....
From your own post, slingshots are not illegal in WA if they are homemade and don't have an armrest.
I also believe they are legit if they have only a single arm and not a Y.
Cheers
Bloffy