Has anyone...

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone here spent an entire night using only a garbage bag or space blanket for shelter and warmth (no fire)?
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being utterly miserable, how bad was it?
I've always wanted to test out the concept, which is regularly put up as a viable way of keeping warm.
I am expecting it to be another sleepless night.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
I wonder if the homeless could be a source of information here?

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
if you can get them to become members.
I've slept in a wikiup, a firebed, a supershelter/ spaceblanket with fire and a kennel shelter. They were all pretty bad. I think this one might take the cake.

Last edited:

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I never would have imagined. Thanks to you both.

nifty

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Ive slept in the AMK thermolyte with a cheap Big W roll out rubber mat as the base. On a scale of 1 to 10 about an 8. I dont know how i would have gone without the mat as a base

Stewart Townsend

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
South Queensland summer, late spring. Generally lying on a groundsheet and thermarest.

Have spent most of the night on exercise ambushes in the Ares with clothing only on, 2 out of 10's. LOL

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Are you intending on limiting natural material usage? Eg. for insulation from bare ground? Can you construct a shelter then set the space blanket up inside it? Any examples of what you're going to do?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I saw an interesting take on this on You Tube the other day. Instead of climbing into the super huge bin bag/survival bag through the main hole, he cut a face-sized hole just under the bottom corner, so that the corner which stuck out acted as a rain hood. This bloke was operating in Colorado in the snow. The advantages of using the bag this way was that the user could still walk around without losing the protection of the bag. Also the hood kept the face out of the weather. It also meant the arms were able to carry small items without being in the weather.
I think if you did this but kept the face hole material attached from the centre half (that is 1/4 cut, half uncut, 1/4 cut) on the left or right side you would also be able to pull the bottom 3/4 across the face and tuck down the top 1/4, so only the top 1/4 was exposed, it would act as an emergency face wind shield if needed.
Not quite sure how you'd go in the sweaty tropics wearing a bin bag. Too warm, methinks. More a southern thing. Don't need shelter up there unless you are way inland. Slept out several times near the coast while travelling around Oz wearing nothing but a smile in our tent but that's probably far too much info.
Cheers
Bloffy

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking of cutting a little face hole, sitting on my pack to stop conductive heat loss and seeing how it went. Wearing only walking clothes to be realistic.
Anyone want to have a go too? They say a problem shared is a problem halved, so if we get 8 people it should be tolerable...

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Here's the link. Hope it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV5ShSNIdfY

This guy actually makes a lot of sense without all the hype.
Anybody know who he is? His name is Peter Kummerfeldt and from this video alone I picked up on the garbage bag thing and a great new way to light fires which has been my go to since I seen it. (I knew about the vaseline and cotton balls - I'm talking about the way he lays his fire). Makes a lot of sense to me.
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Yeah but I dont seem to be able tind anything else by him or about him on You Tube.
Let me know if anything comes up because I would be interested in following up.
Cheers
Bloffy

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Spent a whole week on an Escape and evasion exercise wearing nothing but a trench coat and combats. I managed to sneek a foil sheet in my kit that didn't get found on the pat down.
Out of 10 I would say 11 but then again it was on the Sennybridge training area in wales england in winter which was bloody baltic.
Don't want to do that again in a hurry.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Wentworth i'm definitely giving this a go, probably this weekend, although not as you describe, that's just crazy talk :). Although i'm interested in that outcome, it sounds like pretty much the worst night ever. I want to test whether it can be useful either by itself as the tarp and only source of cover, probably tied down in an A shape as close to you as possible and on an angle so condensation goes down one end, with natural materials like grass or something underneath you and down the sides to stop air flow as I think you won't be able to tie it right on the ground so there will be some sort of gap. For each end, i'm either going to weave tufts of grass in between sticks to form doors or weave up some from palm leaves or lomandra. I'm going to take two space blankets so if my method doesn't work I can wrap the second blanket around me and see if the two work. I reckon I may start out with walking clothes only but have some secondary stages ready to go like jacket, big socks, buff, beanie, etc. to see how far you need to take it to be bearable.

For safety, I'm also going to have a decent shelter and sleep system set up beside it, with a huge bonfire ready to go just in case, but i'll be trying to tough it out.

I reckon if anything, it will make sure you have some method of "sure fire" whenever you go bush.