Hand Drill Torubleshooting Tips

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Lantana is my second choice of timber after Xanthorea. Much harder to get a dead straight length though, it always seems to be ever so slightly curved. :)

Great Tutorial by the way.
A bit of judicious whittling may straighten it out, but I know what you mean about lantana !

Steve McFadden

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I know this is some time after the thread was posted but just to say thanks it's still very valuable. I had my first and second goes at producing fire with this method in the last week and had allready wondered about some of these things, (not all stalks are creatd equal) and was puzzling through the choices. For the record I was unsuccesful in creating anything but a polished surface but did manage to get my first blister of what I suspect will be many. However this information might save me a lot os sweat, swearing and pain.
Steve

Aussie Forager CQ

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

I agree mate, what Blake has written here is one of the better pieces of info on the hand drill out there. The blisters are worth it mate, you will not regret them!

Zoob

Russell Coight
Reaction score
More tips re Xanthorrea Hand Drill .

Hi Steve,

I agree mate, what Blake has written here is one of the better pieces of info on the hand drill out there. The blisters are worth it mate, you will not regret them!
1 - Try putting Xanthorrea hearth board directly onto birds nest as ember is oxygenated as it falls.
2- Use flower end of stem for Hand drill.
3- Use ash on your hands for better grip (rather than spit)
Regards. Great Discussion.

ChrisM

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for an awesome, informative post Blake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk