Hammock - which one?

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
So ... I looked at hammocking about 5 or 6 years ago, and was close to buying a Warbonnet Blackbird at the time.
Apart from being unsure of the sleeping position, I though it was expensive. The Aussie dollar was at 80c US! Imagine that!?

Anyhoo, my budget outlook has improved, and I find myself looking at Warbonnets again. This time it's the XLC which I think would suit me better as I'm 6' tall and it's sized up to 6'6".
I liked all the accessories and keeping it simple.

But then, there's Hennessy. And Tier Gear.

I absolutely dislike being cold. For example, my go to sleeping bag is a Western Mountaineering Versalite, rated to -5C.

Assuming money's no object - just for the exercise - what do you all recommend, including top and bottom quilts?

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
HH all the way for me but Doc swore by his WB. I wish I had more info about the Tier Gear. I have their tarp which is awesome. Gives max coverage, weighs nothing and is still airy. Very few condensation issues, only once did I not find a place to hang out and that was in the Lancelin dunes. I use a second hand Jacks R Us three quarter underquilt and my down sleeping bag just over me as a quilt with just the footbox zipped. I have slept warm and dry in my jocks on Ellen's Peak when it was sheeting in sideways and at or near zero. My ground dweller mate on a good quality thermomat said he froze all night and was wearing all he had. Lol. Still paying out on him about that.....
My HH is the expedition side opener. I've had a rebirther but am a big convert to the side opener.
Biggest fault is the HH isn't double skinned which I think would be awesome as it would allow for maybe a better use of insulation etc.
Will welcome you to the world of hangers.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Finally!
+1 on the HH and the Tier Gear Tarp. The tarp that came with the Hennessey is ok as long as it isn’t pouring. I have a 3/4 jacks are us underquilt, but prefer the full length custom job I got from Simon at Tier gear. Never had a topquilt and don’t think I’d bother. Did try with a car window reflector in the hammock before I bought UQ and got vapour lock.
Stuck with the original suspension system, I know Bloffy has a very elegant whoopie set up and you can customise to the nth degree which is part of the fun.
For sleeping I did use a Ray Mears centre zip and now as you know have a Onesie, but any bag will do. The easiest way to use a bag is to stand in it outside the hammock, zip it mostly up then sit down and swing legs up.
I use a thermartex blanket for my feet, but that is optional and have a Snugpak jungle blanket, but have only used that once in the hammock.
I sleep more or less fully clothed.

I’ve never slept in a DD or Warbonnet or Goshawk, Uneekwahn has the rebirther HH, but I would avoid.
Personally I wouldn’t bother with a double bottom as I don’t think it would work a as well as a proper UQ.

You are welcome to borrow mine for a trial.

But I ain’t letting the onesie out of my sight...

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
i have a few Tiergear hammocks and i am keen to get another. the new design with integrated net looks ideal.
the old dual layer hammock gives the option to put a sleeping mat between the fabric layers. but i use the under and top quilts i got from tiergear. keeps nice and snug.
I reckon if its a coin toss, go for supporting local business and an all round good bloke Simon. :)
Whoopie suspension is fantastic but for simplicity and longevity i think the webbing is the go albeit it heavier.. im not a gram weeny so dont really mind.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Sami12, when I looked at using a mat in the hammock, a lot of the posts suggested that because sleeping mats are narrow, you would get cold shoulders and arms. I’ve only tried the window shade. Have you ever tried the mat technique and did it work for you?
+1 on supporting Simon at Tier Gear

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If I get back into trying a hammock I’m planning to get a Blackbird XLC and the Warbonnet quilt which is designed specifically for it with the foot of and all.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Wohoo. So many trees, so few hammocks to hang from them......lol
Next time we go out, there will only be Chris and.....ummm, actually, just Chris.
Not saying you are weird mate but.....lol
Hope there's still plenty of trees in Mambup. That would be Bloffy, Thrud, Uneekwan, Redtail, MDU, Sami (if he's not in his log cabin....) all hanging out together.......wohooo.
Hangers of the world unite.
Bring it on.
I meant to ask Redtail, does that mean your cot mahal was just a tad too heavy for backpacking?
Cheers
Bloffy