Hammock Underquilts

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
What temp rating hammock underquilts do people use?
I recently started using a Blackbird XLC and my underquilt is apparently rated to -7c.

I used it last weekend when it was pretty cold down to about 5 or 6c.

I wasn’t cold but I wasn’t toasty warm either like I expected I would be.

I think generally speaking I’m a fairly cold sleeper, what are people experiences with hammock underquilts and how much warmth people need.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
What is the rating of your sleeping bag?
Are you sleeping clothed?
Was it just your feet that were cold?
What is your favourite colour?

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
1. Don’t use a sleeping bag, have a top quilt rated to -7
2. Yes I had clothes on
3. I wasn’t cold just expected to be warmer.
4. Green

The only possible conclusion I can come up with was that there was a breeze robbing the warmth.
Does anyone use an underquilt protector at all to prevent wind taking warmth from the underquilt?

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Haven't used a top quilt so can't comment.
If your UQ is not cinched both ends and you are hanging into the wind either head first or feet first with the tarp open, then your UQ rating won't really matter and you'll be colder than you thought.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I have -1 top Quilt and under quilt is the same, on one occasion I did feel spot chilled, on inspection the UC was not snug there was a small air gap, so keep an eye on this, also any moving air you need to block out. What I did do to add a bit more warmth was I hung another hammock under me, it’s only a cheep one and it weighs minimal, just make sure it does not compress the UC. I sleep in all my hiking cloths, bar the shoes.

I feel the cold so very alert to being over warm if possible, can always shed or vent if too warm.

Mozz

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been out of the hammock gear world for a while, so had to look up the wooki.

Normally cold backside in a hammock is due to either the under quilt being pulled too close to the hammock (if not differential cut) or, too far away (creating an air gap between hammock and quilt) or overcinching the ends, creating gaps.

But the design of the wooki looks like there's no adjustment, just set and forget?

It looks like a good design, I used to sew insulated hammocks which had a pocket of down or synthetic insulation and looked very much like the wooki:
hammock-1.jpg

Surprising that with that temp rating you didn't feel warm. With a - 5 UQ I used to be able to get away with a +5 top quilt in winter.
Could it have been the usual suspects of cold sleeping like a cold head, not enough food or dehydration?

I went through 3x diy insulated hammocks, JRB underquilt, hammockgear underquilt, snugpak peapod, speer peapod, speer snugfit underquilt, yeti under quilt and diy garlington insulator to find what I liked best. Lucky for me Corin was happy to rehome 99% of the gear.

Regarding an underquilt protector, I used to rig my poncho like an underquilt (search garlington insulator for the original mid 2000's) on the outside of my insulated hammock years ago. I took some temp readings in the hammock, between the hammock and the poncho, and outside the poncho and there was a good difference in warmth when using it.
If you're already carrying a poncho or similar it's an easy way to get double use out of it.