Hammock under quilt diy experiment

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I get a little bewildered with hammock accessories and read a hack online, I tried this out in the back yard today, simply unzip your sleeping bag, mine is a Snugpac -7, and enclose the whole bag around your hammock, it felt a tad tight, the bottom of the bag has 2 attachment points which I threaded paracord through and tied it off, the head end was a bit trickier, I bunched up a section and tied it to the hammock line, again with paracord, I slipped a foam mat between the double layer hammock, ( I may cut down the mat to shape as I have a few) it felt pretty cosy, I don’t really see any reason why this wouldn’t work, just a little restricting and unable to lay across.Pics below, thoughts please.....

Attachments

Last edited:

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
You want it tight underneath so that it hugs your body and removes any air gaps between it and the hammock. The air is what will make you cold!

Great work man 😁

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
You want it tight underneath so that it hugs your body and removes any air gaps between it and the hammock. The air is what will make you cold!

Great work man 😁
Thanks, it was pretty tight up, I may have to bite the bullet and invest in a hanging sleep system!

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Is this to prevent squashing the down and therefore losing insulation? It's the only reason I can imagine, and a good one if so. It would negate the need for a sleeping mat. I'm surprised there aren't designed bags for this, or use a king size?

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Something like this?

Foxtrot65

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Something like this?

What a great idea! Yes, this makes total sense! Under quilt and top quilt in one!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Dave Canterbury has a good YouTube tutorial on hammocking with a single and two wool blankets. I am trying to work out how I can best make use of my cloak with its two layers (one wool, one polofleece). I've got an idea but need to get me some hang time to put it to best practice. If my thinkinks be properest, I should have two layers under me and (maybe) four over top. But only bush time will tell. Good to hear you are getting the hang of hanging.
By the way, if you are worried by the extra space an underquilt takes up, just remember, you don't have to take an inflatable mattress or a ground sheet. My sleeping bag and underquilt pack into the size of a big basketball and my hammock, pegs and tarp about half that.
You would have seen the size of the pack I took to Mt Mambup (disregard everything else I took. That was playtime stuff.) Smaller than most packs, methinks.
Either way, go for it. You won't regret it.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you have to lie in the line of the hang rather than at an angle to it, you might not get a comfortable sleeping position.