Half-axe Versus Tomahawk.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I purchased my first hand forged tomahawk many years ago, the head turned out to be far too large for my needs in a tomahawk, so I made a new longer helve for it & use it as a half-axe.
Here you can see the half-axe secured to my blanket roll. Handy when I have larger construction work to do.
This is the tomahawk I made from an old hatchet head. I expanded & tapered the eye to take a tapered tomahawk helve. I recently made a new slightly longer helve for this head.

Peter123

Les Stroud
Reaction score
That looks like a good bit of kit you got there Keith. I reckon that the modern campers can end up carrying more weight around the bush than the wool and canvas guys. The things you take might be heavier but you tend to take a lot less things šŸ˜€

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
the modern version of this is the Cold Steel rifleman's hawk rehandled with a 30 or 32" handle, basically does the same thing and a build I have currently got in the works.

Just have to get over rehandling my Viking hand axe, and purchasing a fixed blade (Svord Hog Beater) and Cold Steel Boar Spear (which is on backorder) lots of pokers in the fire at the moment.

I have actually come to the conclusion the half axe suits me better than the hawk, as I am a bigger framed fella and the extra handle length gives me a lot better reach and power. Feels a lot better in hand and I can choose between one or two hand holds.