Hairy Trail Cam Pics

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Not having much luck with the Tcam, its not triggering at night at the moment for some reason.

HUNT0433 (640x480).jpg
Dont you hate it how the lens goes foggy just when something interesting comes along?
Note this pic is unedited except for resizing.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Might be moisture in the sensor too, the cam is always covered by condensation first thingin the morning.
Added pic to above post BTW.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Set my trail cam over a small roadkill on the weekend.
HUNT0503 (640x479).jpgHUNT0525 (640x502).jpg
HUNT0604 (640x479).jpgHUNT0817 (640x439).jpg

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Damn cows found the small tin of tuna I spead about as a lure fascinating, over 70 pics of them sinffing and doing other stuff.
HUNT0037 (640x500).jpgHUNT0103 (640x501).jpg

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
The Raven pics are great!
We kept on getting dead toads in the middle of the concrete parking lot out the front of work. The whole premises is surrounded by high security fences but lying in the centre of the yard would be these toads on their backs with all their guts hanging out. We thought vandals/kids/hoons/whatever had been throwing them over the fence so we checked the security camera footage. The crows had been swooping down and flipping the cane toads onto their backs and then pecking their bellies until they exposed the guts, have a quick feed and then fly off again. They were smart enough to know to stay away from the poison on the toads backs and only eat the soft parts underneath.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Moved the Tcam to a new location , no new species yet just brushed-tailed possums and bandicoots.
Hoping hard for a quoll.
HUNT0369 (800x600).jpg
HUNT0360 (800x600).jpg

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
wouldn't be great for trail cams to have full colour night vision

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
It would. I think moisture has damaged the electronics and I can no longer change the settings.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
wouldn't be great for trail cams to have full colour night vision
That can only happen if the night is filled with white light, which would require a flash. Might be a way to locate fresh scat.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes it only has an infrared flash whjch doesn't seem to alarm them too much, proof is as you say, no fresh scat usually.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Blackstriped wallaby. M.dorsalis
HUNT0052 (800x592).jpg
Pretty small compared to my (large) dog.
HUNT0082 (800x632).jpg

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hairy, have you had any problems with yours turning off in the middle of the night due to cold?

I recently set up a brand new Swann outback cam for a friend and it caught us setting the unit up and then putting grain in various locations in it's field of view, and then it picked us up collecting it the next morning. There was definitely some animal action at the grain, yet we got no photos. The only thought I had was that it switched off in the cold (probably got down to about 0C) and that's when the animals came.

The unit did not specify an operating temp range in the manual... and it ran on AA's which I thought could go below 0.

The battery in my own camera stopped working each morning and reported empty and I had to sit it in the sun until it heated up then it worked again.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I wish I had a dollar for every time I had pics of me setting it up then me checking it the next day with nothing
in between, I'd be able to afford a new trail cam. Lucky my cam doesn't pick up audio or there would be the odd muttered 4 letter word too.
I only have an elcheapo Tasco, but havn't really noticed a problem with cold except that moisture might condense on the
lens and give a blurry image in the early hours of morning. I now don't put the camera out in rainy weather as the seals don't seem to be completely
waterproof and I suspect moisture gets into the electronics as I can no longer see the lcd to change the settings.
I put a strip of duct tape across the top of the door seal to help keep moisture out too.
I only use eneloop rechargables as they last for ages, rather than alkalines as you know digital cams tend to be hard on batts.
Perhaps the angle of your camera picks you up but not shorter animals? I put a small twig or rock behind mine to give a slightly
downward facing angle. Height of the camera off the ground may be an issue too.

Last edited:

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
We did place a stick behind it to get a better angle but I suspect some testing is needed on this unit to see where the sensor picks up best. The manual says it has a blind spot right in the middle which we accounted for... the pictures we got only showed the lower half of our bodies which included just in front of the feed and then behind the feed, but it did show the bottoms of some trees around 30 meters away so not all the shot was just ground. Here is a rough approximation...

camsetup.jpg