Hairy Trail Cam Pics

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I think sensor range was about 10 m and less.
The most beautiful pics are from just on daylight and dusk when the cam is in IR mode but the lighting is natural.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
AussiePreppers, a well hidden trail cam could catch-out the two legged variety but I would only say during the day, night-time the IR glow might put them off? unless it was incorporated into camping site to lure the two legged variety in?
I've been thinking a lot about what someone here said regarding distractions... for example a coke can on the ground to get them to stop and focus on that instead of a camera taking their pic or stop for long enough for the pic. There's probably quite an array of methods along the same lines, but also on the other hand if you put 5 bucks on the ground they might get a bit suss. I find myself checking the hollows and good camera hiding spots now when I see trash on the trail haha :)

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
A new 21st cent syndrome, fear of being photographed whilst in the presence of rubbish.LOL.

Lokenfold

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Instead of using rubbish, put a rock in a tree - it's out place, and should make them stop and think when they see it, however this may also get them to look around which may expose your camera.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Trail cam set up over a dead wallaby... Whistling Kites.
HUNT0403 (640x476).jpg
HUNT0406 (640x439).jpg
HUNT0402 (640x367).jpg
Something bigger removed the whole carcus after this.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Bit dissapointed there were no dingo pics, for some reason it must not have been triggering properly.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Instead of using rubbish, put a rock in a tree - it's out place, and should make them stop and think when they see it, however this may also get them to look around which may expose your camera.
I personally dislike seeing rubbish where it shouldnt be and would remove any rubbish distractor if I used this trick as should
anyone else.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Oh ho ho ho! Lets say this was being used by the parks and wildlife guys n gals to secretly spy on us (not that I get up to no good in the bush ha ha), wouldn't it be funny if they got a complaint complete with photographic evidence about officers dropping rubbish in the wild and ruining this great resource of ours etc etc from your secret hidden trailcam snapping them dropping distractions for their secret hidden trailcam.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
We all have to behave in the bush now, you just never know when that little piece of rubbish is a sign of
candid camera. Lol.

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Excellent pictures, thanks for sharing.

Eventually you'll catch some yowie waving, making the peace sign and yelling "hi Mum!" in the background.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Bit dissapointed there were no dingo pics, for some reason it must not have been triggering properly.
Hairy
Don't worry about the trigger on Trail cam yet . I had two Dingos today chasing rabbits , The rabbits on cam the dingos weren't and plenty of the wood stack they were around. The old Winnie was dusted off

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Hairy I got a feeling it has to do with the timing settings on the cameras and the time frame animals appear for example rabbits set of camera and say there is a 1 minute delay before re shoot the dingos come in and go before the camera resets

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
The time delay certainly looses me some pics as the animal has moved on, but
when the wallaby carcus was moved there was no trigger at all, ..spooky or just
finicky electronics?

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Great pic's, what brand of trail cam have you got?

I remember a thread where people were talking about what to do if you find someone else's cam in the bush - someone had the idea of photoshopping a zombie or two dragging past, or ghosts etc. Always makes me laugh...

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I love your trail cam pics. This type of photography fascinates me. I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy a trail cam when Aldi had cheap ones on sale last June. I've found more positive comments about them than negative.

Cheers,

b.