Hairy Trail Cam Pics

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Brought a Tasco trail camera a few days ago and am in the early stages of learning how to use it.
Probably taken about a hundred pics of my arm and guts and grass and leaves moving.
Here is a Pied Butcherbird and a Noisy Minor from today.
HUNT0026.jpgHUNT0032.jpg
The little spring flows well and the oleander doesnt get a chance to soak the water.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
According to wikipedia about the Australian crow,
"the Pitjantjatjara term for race ceciliae is kaanka. The term wati kaanka refers to a light-fingered man or someone who hangs around suspiciously."

From the look of the one on your chook shed, this is very apt.

Nice pics, Can't wait till you get some marsupial action. Does it work at night... probably a big ask.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes it does take pics at night,(infra red) Ive got it lined up for a brushtail that hangs around the chook cage tonight.
Night pics are black and white. There is a high resolution option that I will switch to when I can reduce the number
of moving grass and leaf pics. A quoll pic would really make my day!

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
No possums or quolls last ight, but at 4.43am this morning....
HUNT0148.jpgHUNT0149.jpg
This was early enough for the camera to still be in I.R. mode

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Great pics Hairy.

Motion sensor? Check.

IR? Check

Flux Capacitor? Check.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Here are some pics from last night (ignore time and date setting...every time the batteries are changed...)
Red fox taken with Trailcam IR flash, which I had to reduce with some tape over the IR LEDs as it was too bright and washed out the small subjects.

HUNT0250.jpgHUNT0252.jpg

Last edited:

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
nice hairyman. Where was that trail cam located? close to something he fancied?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I lured him to linger in camera range with some tinned sardines spread over the ground.
The look on his face to me is 'this is a bit suss'.
Putting food down is the easiest way to get an animal pic, Ive tried to setting the cam up on tracks
but the delays on the camera mean i got heaps of pics of animals that had just left.
I think these trailcams are designed for deer that have been attracted by food.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I set my trail cam up in a remote part (a gateway between padocks) on a neighbours farm recently to see what the feral dog traffic was like.
Instead I caught these trespassers, the camera was on the gate post and not hidden, they turned around to get a better
look at it, all three occupants were looking directly at the camea when it triggered again, the passenger in the front even removed his
sunglasses. We were able to identify them as local 'ferals' as my daughter called them. They all had a suprised looks on their faces
and probably wont be back. I moved the camera just in case.
HUNT0360 (640x480).jpg
HUNT0361 (640x421).jpg

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hahaha hope you gave them a hard time! Charge em with trespass and make sure you hide the camera better next time!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah dodgy as hairyman. I dont know if I would stand for that. Up to your mate I guess.

Was the gate closed? Doesn't really matter but even worse if they opened the gate to go in.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
It was about 1km from the public road and they would have gone through 2 gates to get there.
You never know when there is a camera now ,mine only cost $150 and they were selling like hot cakes I was told.
The look on their faces when they realised they were caught on film was worth it.
Have to do a thread on trail camera camo.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hey Hairy - nice catch. I'd just drop a copy of the photo in the ferals letter box with the words "private property" on the back. Anyway, does the tasco make any noise when it takes a shot? What about when the IR flash fires? I'd love to get one of those for animals and the two legged variety, and i'm sure I could hide it well I just wonder how it takes the shot.

(P.S. the noise factor is just for giving away the units position for humans, not animals)

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes it does seem to make a slght sound, but it would be very hard to hear unless you were right next to it and
expecting it. The biggest give away would be at night when the IR flash goes off, even this would be missed easily
if not expected and if you set the cam to take only 1 pic at a time instead of 3 then it would be even harder to
find. This IR flash is not very bright and can be reduced further with masking tape partially over the IR leds.

Lokenfold

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Geez I hope the ferals weren't hunting on private property, or discharging firearms, they could get into serious trouble for that, maybe even loose their weapons licenses for 5years.
The country looks beautiful though, what kind of range can you get out of the trail cam? I suppose the 2nd photo gives a good indication!

AussiePreppers, a well hidden trail cam could catch-out the two legged variety but I would only say during the day, night-time the IR glow might put them off? unless it was incorporated into camping site to lure the two legged variety in?