Hacksaw blades as knive blanks

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Search ebay for "England HSS Power Hacksaw Blade Eclipse 17"x1"x 10T"

Just saw these on ebate and I have been talking about making small blades for extras, just asking for advice on
1 Are these cheap enough to play with?
2 Whats the best way to use these??
3 What do I use to sharpen the edge and form the blade???
I have made a few little blades in the past and I have never been totally happy with the end result; I think the grindiung wheel I used developed too much heat and softened the steel too much, as the end result blades became blunt very easily

Last edited by a moderator:

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
I just sharpen them on a bench stone, I used to make small blades out of them for skinning game etc. I just snap them off at an angle and sharpen them up like a box cutter blade as i need it.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Which ones should I buy do you think 25mm (one inch ) or 32mm ( inch and a quarter) either would be OK but which is best in the context of "survival " knives, that is cheap enough to have one in each kit as back-up in case you loose the main blade

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
if one wasn't inclined to make a cheap "survival knife", have a look at the Mora craftline 511(I got 2 of these cheap, yet quality knives for $16[including post] off ebay) they are cheap enough to buy one for each of your kits(and the weigh almost nothing)
the 2 red handled ones in the pic.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
If hacksaw blades are hard for you find used try old saws. thicKer steel and generally better quality not modern ones they are through away stuff but the old were designed to to resharpen.
Also with 1 saw blade you could make several knives and different styles, including a round knife for leather work.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
I have a Clipper (S/S) that hasn't let me down yet... Plastic sheath, floats, rubberised grip, trouser/belt/pocket/button clip sheath... even wears nicely as a necker too... Cost me $10 at the local camping store... sold as bait knives in some fishing stores too...

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
That was my initial inspiration yes, but a 20mm hacksaw blade really is useless here ( I have made and broken several )I have made a couple using old sabre saw blades too

I just bought one of these on ebay

Search for "Bahco 2444 Mora Multi Purpose Knife With Holster" Sellers name is "toolsrus_melbourne"

the price is right.
I like making my own gear; if it isn't up to scratch I only have myself to blame

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I think I'll get the cheaper blades on ebay. @ $20- including postage that gives me 4 or more knives, I'll just epoxy on some cheap plywood scales and wrap in brickies twine using French whipping, I'll even leave the teeth on the back in case I need to cut through some prison bars

Search ebay for "HSS Power Hacksaw Blade 17"x1 1/2"x 0.062", 10T"

Works out a little cheaper than 4 of the Bahco

Michael

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
not bush craft but thare are boss when doing renos on old house bunnings is sealing now at $20 I use mine till it is stuffed then regrind it into a little scapple sort of thing

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
of the Mora's I own(2000, clipper, 511craftline, 2010 bushcrafter)the 2010 is IMHO the best for general bushcrafting use. well thought out ergonomic handle, that fills the hand and feels very good, variable grind scandi edge and reasonable plastic sheath(IMO the sheaths really let down the whole Mora line, but for the price they are good), tho the 2010 is slightly more expensive, I got mine for $40 including post. Note the 2010 has a SS blade(12c27 from memory, good quality stainless). The only thing is the 2010 doesn't strike a ferro rod very well.

I am currently incorporating my 2010 into a neck kit, just waiting on the pouch component to arrive in the mail.I will post pics when I am done.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
These blades will be OK but a bit thin for a bushcraft knife...depending on what sort of bush craft you do of course. around 3mm is generally best.

As Auscraft said, try circular saw blades, not little 200mm ones but big ones. They really are good especially for mucking around. Anyone that cuts concrete will be more than happy to give you a stack of diamond blades, but the best are the old ones, pre tungsten tips. When the steel was good because it had to be.

I definitely recommend making your own knives. Sure you could buy something... and yes it is easier, and probably at first anyway, better. But is that the point? As bushcrafters do we buy a tent or build a shelter? Do we turn on the heater or make a fire? Do we buy a spoon, or carve one?

There is an awful lot to learn making knives, you will be working with a pretty much unlimited range of materials, Steel, Aluminium, Brass, Bone, Horn, Wood, Bark, Leather, Plastics, synthetics, pretty much as broad as the imagination. When you do buy a knife, you will see your mistakes in other blades, you will know what to look for.... its all very zen... lol. Seriously though you live a long way from me, but I will happily help if I can.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Possible bushcraft applications for this??

Search ebay for "BAHCO BUILDER'S WRECKING KNIFE / CHISEL #SB-2448 "NEW"
That is seriously cool!