Guess who?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to keep going until you tell me to stop...

Here's the scenario; Bloffy has made another one of his spectacular culinary extravaganzas, it has crippled half the bushcrafters on the meet and he has fled into the bush. The few surviving members pursue Bloffy into the wilds in the hope of educating him and hopefully getting an antidote(unlikely).

Although Bloffy may have difficulty in the kitchen area, he is no slouch when it comes to counter-tracking techniques.

In which of these tracks(with close up of left trail on left and right trail on right side of main image)has Bloffy used his dark arts to try and throw the angry mob? And which technique has he used?

IMG_7308.jpgIMG_7307.jpgIMG_7309.jpg

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Two separate trails in main pic, close up of one print from left trail on left and close up of right trail to right or below main image.

One of those trails (the whole trail, not an individual print) is dodgy.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The right track looks unusual, the front of the track looks weathered but the centre looks fresh. The left hand track looks like the person is possibly jogging or walking quite quickly but the track looks fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I was walking backwards on the right. My toes dug in more on the left, meaning my weight was forward, creating the deeper, more distinct toe mark. Going backwards, my feet were flatter as I was more upright. And, in the third? pic you can see where there was a bit ofsand thrown backwards from the heel as it dropped off. As I walked backwards, I was looking over my left shoulder, evident by the slightly deeper print compared to the right.
Am I right about what I did?
Also, sorry guys. I promise I'll try not to cook for anyone else at the upcoming meet. But there's no saying what might happen once the rum comes out.....
Cheers
Bloffy

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
was going to say one set is walking backwards, deep toe area and the flick of sand is at the heel :)

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Correct Hairyman, Bloffy and Mozzie.

As HM says, the oldest truck in the book, but when you put the two side by side on easy tracking substrate, not too tricky to pick once you know what to look for.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Hehehe, but I managed to confuzzle those pesky Sandgroper bushcrafters. Bruhahahahaha.
Okay. Makes it trickier. I is having fun. BTW, was I correct about which shoulder you were looking over?
Bring on another.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Cheers Bloffy, glad you are enjoying it. Tbh I do not recall which shoulder I was looking over and though I have read Tom Brown’s book on pressure releases I think it more likely that the changes may be due to me slowing down as I came to the edge of the sandpit.
Another possibility is that my knees are playing up. I’ll go out and check.
I had thought about making a tracking box, but for the dimensions suggested it would have meant 600kg of sand. Luckily there is a large sandpit on a playing field where I walk the dog, it gets watered everyday so largely resets all the tracks overnight. Good for simple tracking.
I have other areas on the dog walking route that I smooth out and use as track traps for ageing sign etc.
Because some tracks are easier to follow than others, and kneeling down atm gives me a bit of curry, I have started using the tracking pole held at arms length with an O ring used for stride length, this saves me kneeling for a lot of tracks, but you still need to get down and dirty once you lose the easy ones. Pic to illustrate below(it is not showing stride length which would be heel to heel, but you get the idea)
F1E1F99F-44DA-4E62-976F-AA5D3F360F12.jpg

Last edited: