BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guess who?

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
a who dunnit ?
the straggly gum leaves shows the size maybe a couple inches.
I’ll plop this in this thread as it seems to belong .

nice to know there’s yabbies about this area , am happy about that and the bright bits are butterfly I think .

would be nice to know what eats butterflies and yabbies .

I’m guessing it’s a stool been washed clean or the bugs cleaned it up unless it’s regurgitated .

found it interesting anyway .
Not expecting a definitive answer though i suspect some kind of bird .
I imagine a kookaburra could do that as a kingfisher .
Around here it is Owls; although there is generally a lot of fur in Owl pellets. Some sort of bird for sure - yabbies would suggest a water bird like a heron? Rufous night heron would be my guess; they are usually around still water on rivers. Nankeen and rufous mean the same thing: https://www.birdlife.org.au/bird-profile/nankeen-night-heron If you see kingfishers around though...I've only ever seen them dive for little fish, but I'm sure they wouldn't turn down a yabbie :D

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think Heron is a probable, although I wouldn't think they are manoeuvrable enough to catch a butterfly in flight. If the butterfly is the iridescent green blue in the lower part of the pellet, it looks too good to have been semi digested

Just idle armchair thoughts!

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
FBF40C60-FAD4-4038-8027-3E25950C7643.jpeg
Another forensic scene . Snake was still moving as there was big fat maggots inside wiggling cleaning it up .
So who is the top of the food chain .Rhetorical question .

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
id go with a feral cat maybe :unsure:

I’ve seen those white birds that hover in a spot amazingly above the grasses there too , they may be peregrine falcons ?, Will have to consult a book about them .
It dawned on me these bits are at the base of what is essentially a 3 meter high post roughly .

so could be a cat as they are definitely around also , or possibly a bird .

something that didn’t eat a whole over meter and half (brown ?) snake and eats rodents bigger than mice.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score

I’ve seen those white birds that hover in a spot amazingly above the grasses there too , they may be peregrine falcons ?, Will have to consult a book about them .
It dawned on me these bits are at the base of what is essentially a 3 meter high post roughly .

something that didn’t eat a whole over meter and half (brown ?) snake and eats rodents bigger than mice.
I saw the rodent skull,... you saying there is a vantage point, that could / would make it maybe a Kestrel, Falcon, Hawk etc . Kookaburra will go a snake, so add it as well and They also like vantage points.
... what ever morsel is dropped would be fed on by a ground dweller.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If it is below a perch , then I would look down the sides of the pole and on surrounding bushes for bird scat.

I agree with suggestion of a raptor.

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Well the dogs have found a departed rabbits remains a short distance away from the snake bits , that definitely was not there yesterday on our track.
one was eating the guts .
The rest was gone except for fluff .

there was a dingo with pups in the grass there last year , only a couple hundred meters or less from us , not sure if they kill and eat snakes I suppose they would although it’s risky business .

another thing I’ll add to the mystery is a great big owl sitting on a chair outside here one night ,
And a possums tail sitting up on the fence wires a while ago too.

bits of bats have showed up too .
Could likely be a few different predators around the place .
Them rabbits aren’t easy to catch either , the dogs know very well. Never seen a fox here , they could be though .

Kindliing

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

The bird I was thinking of was actually the black shouldered kite .
bit slow getting back to this .

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Rhymes with...

Attachments

• 1F1770DF-E0E9-48CA-8624-9529291BA629.jpeg
    1F1770DF-E0E9-48CA-8624-9529291BA629.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 9

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Marginally less unfair.

And before you ask Mozzie, it was not the WA lesser spotted land beaver!

Attachments

• 31EE7BFD-1453-4FAB-B638-A7FED5ADB88E.jpeg
    31EE7BFD-1453-4FAB-B638-A7FED5ADB88E.jpeg
    473.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 74FB055C-F3D4-4DDA-B44F-662B1CA7FE99.jpeg
    74FB055C-F3D4-4DDA-B44F-662B1CA7FE99.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 10
  • E93107E6-147B-4FBF-AA4A-2A3520676D28.jpeg
    E93107E6-147B-4FBF-AA4A-2A3520676D28.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 10

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Cockatoo.
Fark.
You'd think someone going by "Redtail" would've got that!?
Mind you, unusual for a red-tailed black to do that.
Most likely a Baudin's.

Did you see the culprit?