Guess who?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
@ Randal.
Yes trying to decipher from photograps can be difficult with lots of contex lost.
The road itself has little camber here.
I have noticed goannas have different gaits, even leaving no tail drag just foot prints at times.
I believe bringing tracks and signs into the conscious mind is a vital part of the 'Art' of tracking and
is only possible with a good deal of dirt time. Notice stuff and think about it.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
What animal do you think this tooth is from? I am guessing its K9 related, but its far too big to be a fox.

Clues: Tooth enamel (the bitey end!) measures 2.3cm in length. Found in Outback South Australia's semi-arid country.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yes, that size would have to be dog/dingo or Thylacoleo. ;)
Yes, given the age and look of it, I guessed it is probably from a dog or dingo. I wish it were from a Thylacoleo, providing their still all dead! :LOL:

A friend of mine made an interesting comment, 'where's the rest of it?' I am seeing a lot of animal parts out here, as opposed to complete skeletons, but I am seeing them too. I am guessing this has to do with scavenging, but I'm not sure.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I'm not sure that carnivores eat carnivores - at least it isn't that common. Don't know about carrion and jackals, hyenas etc.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I'm not sure that carnivores eat carnivores - at least it isn't that common. Don't know about carrion and jackals, hyenas etc.

I was more thinking it could have died of old age or sickness and was 'scavenged' by animals. Other than that it could have been someones pet dog, but way out here its doubtful.

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I was more thinking it could have died of old age or sickness and was 'scavenged' by animals. Other than that it could have been someones pet dog, but way out here its doubtful.
It is unusual, as you say. I've seen lots of skeletons of herbivores; they are mostly together and in the same area and they have been scavenged. So what displaces bones or body parts? Even on African documentaries you see lions, then jackals or hyenas, then carrion birds; but they are all at the carcass. When they are finished the skeleton looks intact but picked clean. I would wonder at the age of what you have, and the other solitary bones that you see. That could be interesting - how old is that tooth?

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
It is unusual, as you say. I've seen lots of skeletons of herbivores; they are mostly together and in the same area and they have been scavenged. So what displaces bones or body parts? Even on African documentaries you see lions, then jackals or hyenas, then carrion birds; but they are all at the carcass. When they are finished the skeleton looks intact but picked clean. I would wonder at the age of what you have, and the other solitary bones that you see. That could be interesting - how old is that tooth?

Hi Mate. I know what you are saying. I do know wild pigs eat just about anything, but not sure if there are any out here. They usually like water. So do the animals you mentioned, like birds. The tooth does not look that old, its not pitted or anything, but it is split, probably from the extreme heat and sun in this region. I found it under a tree on top of leaf litter. Its strange to find a deep rooted tooth in recent condition on its own, hey! Who knows whats out here. I have since learnt to be careful under trees around leaf litter. There are Death Adders in this region. Fastest striking snake and extremely venomous.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Realise I never posted the answer....correct answer is lab retriever, but if you said lab you still get the marks🤪

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
It's weird. Big goanna on the left; that's a wild guess though :)

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Weird, the tracks on the right are kind of banana shaped outward! A drunk clown? :ROFLMAO: