Guess who?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks HM, I had a look at millipede tracks and they all seem to have 2 parallel tracks. The pic below is the nearest one I can get to the surface that you posted.

When you said invertebrate, I wondered if it might be something pushing a dung ball, but looking at images, the tracks are wobbly and mainly from the feet of the beetle.

I have another theory, your workmates know you are into tracking, they know your route to work and they decided to mess with your head. The Qld version of crop circles.

You'll have to stake the road out...

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks HM, I had a look at millipede tracks and they all seem to have 2 parallel tracks. The pic below is the nearest one I can get to the surface that you posted.

When you said invertebrate, I wondered if it might be something pushing a dung ball, but looking at images, the tracks are wobbly and mainly from the feet of the beetle.

I have another theory, your workmates know you are into tracking, they know your route to work and they decided to mess with your head. The Qld version of crop circles.

You'll have to stake the road out...

View attachment 26017
Yeah, might have to go there at night.

I hope you do. I am keen to find out what made that straight line. Its just so 'neat' :unsure:

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I thought you said this one was going to be easyo_O

Its a log right, its not a downed fence post?
OK last guess it was your knife or your hatchet, you were chopping kindling or something?
Maybe it was only easy because I knew what it was.
Nothing I have done.
Some more hints in order then, it’s a downed tree in the middle of a walking track the marks are made by something metal.

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I wish I could see the picture better - it kind of makes me think of a goanna running. They drag their feet forward - the tops of their feet drag along the ground and out to the sides. Two goannas perhaps, one bigger than the other? Or hairyman forgot to do his fly up? :rolleyes: Has someone already answered this one? It seems a bit too easy if I can answer it :) Oh, if it is two goannas (it kind of looks like it), one big, one smaller, I'm guessing not at the same time. Also possibly in the evening? And possibly toward a water source. Lots of possibles. And if it is to a water source, they wouldn't come back along the road. OK, I see more. The big fella on the left, his left feet tracks have been wiped out by car tracks, so some time has passed depending on the traffic there. If it's morning, the tracks are from the night or evening before. No, I'm just playing with you - hairyman forgot to do his fly up

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I am big
I am fast
I can jump
I have a nasty bite
I am very aggressive
I am everywhere at night
I am so well camouflaged I disappear
I am the reason Edward doesn't sleep outside without a tent:rolleyes:

What is the name of the spider?

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I wish I could see the picture better - it kind of makes me think of a goanna running. They drag their feet forward - the tops of their feet drag along the ground and out to the sides. Two goannas perhaps, one bigger than the other? Or hairyman forgot to do his fly up? :rolleyes: Has someone already answered this one? It seems a bit too easy if I can answer it :) Oh, if it is two goannas (it kind of looks like it), one big, one smaller, I'm guessing not at the same time. Also possibly in the evening? And possibly toward a water source. Lots of possibles. And if it is to a water source, they wouldn't come back along the road. OK, I see more. The big fella on the left, his left feet tracks have been wiped out by car tracks, so some time has passed depending on the traffic there. If it's morning, the tracks are from the night or evening before. No, I'm just playing with you - hairyman forgot to do his fly u
Haha. Its definetly a goanna or goannas. I dont know why the tail is dragged to one side like that. Maybe
it was displaying to another goanna or injured or carrying something?

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I dont know why the tail is dragged to one side like that. Maybe
it was displaying to another goanna or injured or carrying something?
I thought about your last question hairyman. It's funny, I often try to interpret tracks, but find photos frustrating :) It's also something I haven't had much opportunity to do here in Tassie; not many places where you can see tracks so easily. Again, looking at your photo, on the edge of the road the gravel has been washing off in the rain around the tufts of grass. This suggests the road is fairly rounded to maintain water run off. The goanna is running along a slight slope near the edge of the road. For him to do this, he has to compensate some how, hence the tail on the left side. If we could see his feet marks clearly, I'm also guessing the inside (left) strides would be closer together than the outside (right) strides. And both goannas are traveling in the direction that this photo was taken ie away from the camera (I can explain that if you like). If he was running on the other side of the road his tail would still go to the inside of the road too. Also, because the inside of the road is slightly higher (because it is rounded); this would exaggerate the impact of the tail to the left. So, the goanna was holding it's tail to the left; when his left rear foot dropped forward, his tail hit the ground. When his right rear foot moved forward, his tail was still in an arc to the left but above the ground. It looks like the smaller goanna goes from nearly flat ground to sloping ground (symmetrical tail movement for a bit, then to left side only) and this continues intermittently but never right side only. He is further out on the edge where the slope is starting to be leveled out by the gravel washing off the rounded area of the road, but of course, this isn't a uniform process, hence some flat (or nearly flat) and some slope. I doubt that the goannas were there at the same time; somewhere between 5min and an hour apart of each other? Or possibly within sight of each other, but not by choice.

I found this picture on the net. In this shot the goanna is running toward the bottom left hand corner. The slope is running down from top left to bottom right more or less. For most of the picture the tail is held to the up hill side. At the top of the picture, you can see that he is finishing making a turn from somewhere to the left (tail track and downhill side - the right - foot track meet). Then from about one third of the way down the picture, he moves across the slope.

Last edited: