Ground stone point

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Making a good polished stone edge is a little ambition of mine, but I need enough time and suitable location to sit down and get it finished.

This point (made by the boy) is super sharp and he’s just out of shot sucking the blood from his finger ...
P1330470 (Small).jpg

I was more ambitious and wanted an axe or adz, however I just couldn’t get it finished:
P1330469 (Small).jpg

I can see the benefit of making a small point – its quick and easier and a lot less material to remove.

One day I’ll have the time to finish:
P1330446 (Small).jpg

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
nice work Aussie, how long did the young fella take to get that point? and how long do you reckon you have left on yours. i like the persistence required but doubt i have the patience :)

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
nice work Aussie, how long did the young fella take to get that point? and how long do you reckon you have left on yours. i like the persistence required but doubt i have the patience :)
That small point only took an hour or so. I was very impressed.

I spent a couple of hours on the axe and was probably about a quarter of the way ... the amount of material you need to remove grows the more you grind. I think you could make it in a day or two of fairly constant work.

A warm sunny day, sitting beside the river is quite pleasant. We sat and chatted in a shady spot as we ground. An occasional swim or paddle was a nice diversion.
Its a nice activity to undertake; but .... limited time, other duties etc ... and a bit of sore arm meant I couldn't get it done.

Having had a few tries over the last couple of years, I think I'm just starting to learn something about it. It does make one appreciate the skill involved in some of the museum pieces

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
When you ongoing comfort, survivability or need for protection is at stake, a couple of days (or probably nights around the campfire) sitting grinding an axe or point etc, would be a small price to pay I think.
Time was less important in days of old and their priorities were different too.
You are really hitting the skills at the moment Aussie, with the grinding, cordage and butterfly information etc. Good stuff. Keep it up.
Cheers
Bloffy

koalaboi

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi,

Good on you for having a go.

The Maori made some beautiful ground edged tools and the site Don's maps has a long page devoted to the topic with lots of great pictures:

http://www.donsmaps.com/maoritools.html

I've made a few ground edge tools (axes) and have spoken to Aboriginal artisans who make them too and you want good hard stone, fine grained with no faults. Basalt is good.

Mine took about 8 hours each to make except one which seemed really hard but once I got through the outer cortex, the stone ground down pretty quickly and only took about an hour.

The next thing is to haft the axe. I have 2 hafted axes made by modern Aboriginal artisans.

One has mulga handle with a natural fork in the timber carved to the right width to hold the axe. Tied on with sinew and glued with xanthorrea resin.

The other is hafted with a split xanthorrea stem, cut while green, soaked in water and heated to be bent over the top of the axe and tied tightly with sinew. As it dried it shrank and then xanthorrea resin was applied to finish it off. Another mate uses water vine stems (cissus hypoglauca).

KB

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Good on you for having a go.

The Maori made some beautiful ground edged tools and the site Don's maps has a long page devoted to the topic with lots of great pictures:

http://www.donsmaps.com/maoritools.html

I've made a few ground edge tools (axes) and have spoken to Aboriginal artisans who make them too and you want good hard stone, fine grained with no faults. Basalt is good.

Mine took about 8 hours each to make except one which seemed really hard but once I got through the outer cortex, the stone ground down pretty quickly and only took about an hour.

The next thing is to haft the axe. I have 2 hafted axes made by modern Aboriginal artisans.

One has mulga handle with a natural fork in the timber carved to the right width to hold the axe. Tied on with sinew and glued with xanthorrea resin.

The other is hafted with a split xanthorrea stem, cut while green, soaked in water and heated to be bent over the top of the axe and tied tightly with sinew. As it dried it shrank and then xanthorrea resin was applied to finish it off. Another mate uses water vine stems (cissus hypoglauca).

KB
Hafting is definitely on the agenda too.

Australian_Bushcraft

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Do you have the contact details of the Aboriginal artisans who made the axes? I'd be very interested in buying one for bush use and reference for making my own