Greetings from melbourne Oz.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hi there all.
Well, it looks like I've finally found a forum that covers one of my favourite interests.
First a bit about me I spose.
Name is Bill & I live in Werribee which is a SW suburb of Melbourne here in Australia.
My interests vary from deer hunting in the Victorian high country, to many other forms of hunting, including over my Britany gundogs (which I also breed & compete in field & retrieving trials with) as well as general beach & boat fishing, kayak fishing, & spearfishing.
I spend a pretty goodly amount of time camping in the high country & have developed an interest in bushcraft skills, especially pertaining to survival situations (naturally these are real handy to know when deer hunting in the colder/wetter months up there).
I am also an amatuer knife collector of sorts & have a passing interest in blackpower firearms & pioneering skills.

I am an auto mechanic by profession, with over 35years experience in the trade, having spent the vast majority of it working on 4wds.
I'm off the tools now, in an admin job, but still do a bit on 4wds at home occasionally (when I cant get out of it).
During my time working within a prominant 4wd dealership I completed an Offroad Driving Instructors course as well as also undertaking a little survival/bushcraft training. I have also in the past worked within the Metro Ambulance Service here in Melb' both as a breakdown mechanic & Patient Transport Officer.

Well, I'm lookin' forward to learnin' a bit more & getting to know y'all.
If there's anything I can help with feel free to ask away.

Bill A.

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Bill! We're a friendly easy-going bunch so jump on in and share your thoughts.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Many thanks to all.
As you've probably found by now I've already started making a few of my thoughts known.
One thing that does surprise me a bit is that it appears there aren't a lot of 'Bushcraft' clubs or organistions around.
I know there's a fair smattering of Black Powder Muzzle loading firearms clubs about but not a lot of general bushcraft clubs.
If I'm correct then that's a pity I think as Victoria has such a diverse environment available & much of it fairly close to Melb (within a few hrs drive).
I really dont want to get involved in muzzle loading compeitition, even though I have an interest in muzzle loaders (own a 54 cal Hawken rifle which I actiuvely hunt ewith when I get the chance). I am fairly well involved with my gundogs as far as compeititon is concerned & I really dont want my interest in Biushcraft to go down that route. I'd rather enjoy it on a social plateau. Meeting like minded people, maybe getting together on the odd week end for a touch of camping/skills sharing, etc. As a deer hunter I've been fortunate to have been through some of Victoria's most beautiful country & would love to get together with a fe minded bods occasionally. I also have a mate that lives in the far NE corner of Vic' & I feel I could possibly organise a nice place for a Rendezvous at some stage in the future. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks again all. Am really enjoying the forum so far.
Greatly appreciate the thouths.

Bill A.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Hey Bill,

If you want to arrange a meet put it forward in the meet ups section and get a show of hands who might be interested, thats why it was set up...

In general Bushcraft is a "new" thing here in oz, sure we have a strong national tradition of "Bushmen" but it has never been a club thing, thats why we have this site (thanks Blake....) so we can organize such things, we also have smaller groups like the Pathfinder guys who are going to (I hope) have some meets and sharing weekends in future...

At present Bushcraft is a very individual thing, something to go out and have some fun with and learn a few new skills along the way, the last thing we would want is a club/organisation running things, then you have rules and regulations that must be followed and it just gets crazy, kind of like reenactors who jump up and down looking for provinance in some book and then telling all and sundry that it's the "law" while they sit there and count stitches and the like...

But you never know what the future will hold, some one will come up with the idea that it will have to be regulated in some way and before you know it we will have to get permits and hold certifications to prove we can do our skills and there goes all the fun....

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Finding somewhere we can cut down trees may be a problem but the YouYangs are on our side of town (If they ever re-open the park ) and not to far from town for others.
May the Gods curse who-ever thought up the idea of permits in the first place

J.K.M

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
G'day Bill, welcome from Tasmania.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yeah i can well understand the opposition to clubs etc, being involved in both fishing & various gundogs clubs.
However, the meet & greet idea is worth merrit I reckon. Just a commin together of like minded people to share ideas & enjoy a common interest.
At the moment things are a bit hectic for me with my bitch due to whelp pups soon, but I might look at trying to organise a M&G at some stage in the not-too-0distant future. Just thought someone might already be moving in that direction. Have also had a very cursory gance at the 'Pathfinder' situation & will definitely revisit it for a better look/understanding. Thanks fellas.

Bill A.