Got some ideas, need a sounding board to try them out on.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
As I've just posted in the "Heads Up", "Aldi Sales" section, I've purchased 2 canvas drop sheets. They each measure 3.6 x 1.5m and weigh, in round figures, 1.5kg each. By my calculations, that works out to a shade under 10 oz per m2 or 275g per m2.

Some projects I have in mind are;
1. add some eyelets to the perimeter and stich them together with paracord to form a large tarp for car camping. Being canvas, it will be much more forgiving than technical fabrics with regards to sparks and embers from camp fires. They may require waterproofing, I'll set them up sometime this week in my backyard and turn the hose on them.
2. Make a Baker tent or Tee Pee. I'd really like a canvas tent that I can set a fire close to or, make into a 'hot tent' for winter camping.
3. Make a traditional style Anorak for next winter. I need a hard shell for snow hikes and something durable that can survive bush bashing is required. I don't yet know if this material would prove to be too heavy for this purpose.
4. Make a rucksack. I can't find a rucksack that suits me from commercial manufacturers. Like the Anorak, it will need to survive bush bashing, but even more so because it will get used throughout the year. Again, I'm don't yet know if this material will prove to be too heavy.
5. Keep one as a general purpose tarp and cut the other up and make a variety of tool rolls and small pouches out of it.
6. This is my fall back position. I'll use both as drop sheets when I eventually get around to repainting my house inside and out. :_lol:

If anyone has any thoughts on the suitability of this canvas for any or all of the above mentioned projects, I'd like to hear from them. There was still plenty in stock as of Sunday afternoon, so I can return and buy more if necessary or even is just desirable. For $10.00 each, its hard to go wrong.

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
G'day Mr Biggles. Great to see the hand on approach to getting the great you need. The ALDI drop sheets I have are a bit too open weave to be great as a shelter. Will need waterproofing if you don't want a lot of drops or an unacceptable slope to promote runoff.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
G'day Mr Biggles. Great to see the hand on approach to getting the great you need. The ALDI drop sheets I have are a bit too open weave to be great as a shelter. Will need waterproofing if you don't want a lot of drops or an unacceptable slope to promote runoff.
Having now taken one out of its bag, I can see what you mean about the open weave. Hoping to subject it to a water test tomorrow.
Lack of waterproofness wouldn't be an issue for me for a rucksack though because I store all my gear in waterproof stuff sacks and dry bags and the whole lot goes inside a heavy duty plastic bin liner.
I can afford to make a real 'dogs' breakfast' of a pack given the low cost of these drop sheets, so that might be the way I go.

Cheers,

b.

elof_alv

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
If you take an effort to find a fabrics shop, not Spotlight or Lincraft, you will probably be surprised about the price of a canvas they have, and it would be much better quality too

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
If you take an effort to find a fabrics shop, not Spotlight or Lincraft, you will probably be surprised about the price of a canvas they have, and it would be much better quality too
I've been down that route with a number of different types of fabrics and have always come away very disappointed.

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
As I've just posted in the "Heads Up", "Aldi Sales" section, I've purchased 2 canvas drop sheets. They each measure 3.6 x 1.5m and weigh, in round figures, 1.5kg each. By my calculations, that works out to a shade under 10 oz per m2 or 275g per m2.

Some projects I have in mind are;
1. add some eyelets to the perimeter and stich them together with paracord to form a large tarp for car camping. Being canvas, it will be much more forgiving than technical fabrics with regards to sparks and embers from camp fires. They may require waterproofing, I'll set them up sometime this week in my backyard and turn the hose on them.
2. Make a Baker tent or Tee Pee. I'd really like a canvas tent that I can set a fire close to or, make into a 'hot tent' for winter camping.
3. Make a traditional style Anorak for next winter. I need a hard shell for snow hikes and something durable that can survive bush bashing is required. I don't yet know if this material would prove to be too heavy for this purpose.
4. Make a rucksack. I can't find a rucksack that suits me from commercial manufacturers. Like the Anorak, it will need to survive bush bashing, but even more so because it will get used throughout the year. Again, I'm don't yet know if this material will prove to be too heavy.
5. Keep one as a general purpose tarp and cut the other up and make a variety of tool rolls and small pouches out of it.
6. This is my fall back position. I'll use both as drop sheets when I eventually get around to repainting my house inside and out. :_lol:

If anyone has any thoughts on the suitability of this canvas for any or all of the above mentioned projects, I'd like to hear from them. There was still plenty in stock as of Sunday afternoon, so I can return and buy more if necessary or even is just desirable. For $10.00 each, its hard to go wrong.
Period Recipes for oilcloth.
https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2016/11/research-update-on-oilcloth-recipes.html

Keith.