Goon sacks......

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hey all,
I saw the sea to summit water bag thing the other day, which is basically a glorified goon sack in a nylon type cover...... If i'm missing something about the product please let me know......

Just wandering who has tried using just a recycled goon sack for either carrying water or as an emergency backup carrier?

I figure they would be effective as they roll down quite small, weigh next to nothing and being foil would provide some sort of thermal advantage for keeping water cooler in the hotter climates......

Cheers

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
In the days before Camelbaks, I used to use them and those American collapsible 5qt canteen bags quite a bit. They are great for camp water storage and make an acceptable pillow if you're forced to sleep on the ground.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
All good until the bag gives way.
My Sawyer water filter came with a couple of foldable, collapsible bags which gives me about 3l of extra water storage and they roll down to nothing.
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Uneekwahn used a couple of these as his water cache, we used them after they had been stored under a grass tree for a few weeks, no problems.

Neilsk

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
i have a couple of these, i use them all the time when hiking. if i get fresh water from a creek ill fill my bag up then pup some tablets in it to clean it.
i then fill a britta bottle to get rid of the chemical taste. handy sizes for water storage. they are also very tough. i weight close to 110kgs. i can stand on the bags with no fear of them busting. trust me when they make claims about toughness i love to try it!

ninefivefox

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
In the days before Camelbaks, I used to use them and those American collapsible 5qt canteen bags quite a bit.
Yes, I remember those they were worth their weight in gold, I use the Australian issue 2L; however, the platypus bladders are the go.

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/en/platypus

They become especially effective when combined with a gravity fed filtration system.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.....

Next question is how do/did you used to store them?

It would be quite hard to get all the moisture out, was thinking an effective way would be to dry out as best can be done and suck the air out through valve, no air would/should mean no nasties or very limited hopefully and just give a good rinse before using again, thoughts anyone?

Cheers

SimonM

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score

It would be quite hard to get all the moisture out, was thinking an effective way would be to dry out as best can be done and suck the air out through valve, no air would/should mean no nasties or very limited hopefully and just give a good rinse before using again, thoughts anyone?

Cheers
You can store them in the freezer keeps nasty stuff from growing in there in between trips.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I use heaps of them... Wentworth and I did a little video on it....

I hang them in the garage till dry then fold and store... I have kept bladders in the freezer before. That works well.. I always pack a spare and they weight virtually nothing

[video=youtube;xceMNoPYM98]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xceMNoPYM98&list=UUGql-DV1LZ5M01mWHbPAQMQ&feature=share&index=2[/video]

from 2:15 in the above...

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score

Cheers
I take the valve off and put them on a sunny ledge, they dry out quickly enough

Bushdoc

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I always store them full.
No mould, ready to go.
Easy as.
Don't fill them right up, eg. 2l sack = 1.5L = squashable, not "fill to bursting", as this leaves room to allow for squashed/dropped bags not to break.
Likewise, 2 bags, 3/4 full = redundancy.

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Store them empty in the freezer. You need to ensure the nozzle is dry/open/disassembled.
You can do the same with hydration bladders.

This is not my idea, I use it though and it works.

If you do need to clean then buy Milton’s tabs from the supermarket, far cheaper than dedicated tabs.