Good newbie friendly sites in QLD

Brewy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
hey,
new to bush craft oz and kinda new to forums, any good locations in QLD Brisbane that are newbie friendly? (eg, water source, trails that are easy to navigate)
looking to keep it quite simple because this will my first bush craft adventure, i might keep it 1 night 2 days, so hike in, sleep and hike out.
ive heard that bush craft in qld is quite limited compared to other states is this also true?

EDIT: in respond of markie D about what skills im focusing on, i want to keep it pretty simple as in easy water source to boil water, easy trials to navigate, dont really know what else to say at the moment at the moment i wont be focusing on any natural shelters/tools, i recently brought a hammock and i already owned a a sleeping pad so i have both options of sleeping on the floor or up high. i guess im also looking for a small/medium hike so i have time gather resources and set up camp so i dont need to stress if i mess something up, i dont have any emergency phones etc. ( will be my next investment)

thanks for your time
James brew

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry cant help, NSW here, sure a few QLDs will chime in.

Welcome to the forum
Mozz

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Welcome aboard.
I can't tell you much about QLD, but which part of the state are you from (it may help with advice) ?

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Hi Brewy,
Welcome to Bushcraft OZ, I'm from Victoria, hope you find some local places to practice your skills.
Any skills in particular you are interested in or focusing on? It may help narrow down the forests / locations that are good for what your looking for.

Brewy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi Brewy,
Welcome to Bushcraft OZ, I'm from Victoria, hope you find some local places to practice your skills.
Any skills in particular you are interested in or focusing on? It may help narrow down the forests / locations that are good for what your looking for.
Just added another edit thanks :)

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Hi brewy ,

I am in the north so don’t know firsthand around Brisbane camping,

I do have a book from 2003 called exploring Queensland’s parks and forests.
Brisbane forest park is on Brisbane’s doorstep , largest tract of bush land near a major capital city in Australia reportedly.

in 2003 there at least was camping , and near a dozen tracks etc.

The other one is mt mee state forest that has camping in this book .

a more current book would be useful of course , maybe some thing worth looking into.

also the Queensland parks and wildlife type website for current info.

Last edited:

Brewy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hi brewy ,

I am in the north so don’t know firsthand around Brisbane camping,

I do have a book from 2003 called exploring Queensland’s parks and forests.
View attachment 27321
Brisbane forest park is on Brisbane’s doorstep , largest tract of bush land near a major capital city in Australia reportedly.

in 2003 there at least was camping , and near a dozen tracks etc.

The other one is mt mee state forest that has camping in this book .

a more current book would be useful of course , maybe some thing worth looking into.

also the Queensland parks and wildlife type website for current info.
cheers mate! a book was so simple i overlooked it, never even thought about popping down to the local book store for a look

Kindliing

Les Hiddins
Reaction score

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Not sure if you have them in QLD. But in Victoria we have "visitor/information centres". They are great for ideas and maps if you need anything.

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi James, I haven’t visited the forum for a while so missed your question.
Depending where you are, the D’Aguilar national park is a good option. You can hike to the remote camp sites (book first), have a fire in the pit when there’s no fire bans, etcand maybe see a mountain biker or two but it’s usually pretty quiet. Here’s a link to the old page about some of our adventures in there - I need to update so e of the info links in there.

One of the qld govt sites has a list of places to camp but a lot of them are very busy.

Brewy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
yeah found a few places which look nice but all need to bring your own firewood, same with the D'Aguilar, need to bring own firewood and cant gather your own, do people generally hike with firewood? im guessing no? only trouble im having is that

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Yes, being a national park, we can’t collect wood for a fire. Back when some of the Southern section was run by the forestry dept it was ok, but not any more. I don’t bother with a fire, I just use my stove, but at the Scrub Rd camp I do see the remnants of fires so somebody must be bringing it in - the coals look more like pieces from large aged hardwood timbers rather than deadfall gathered from the area. It doesn’t need to be a really long hike, some of the camps are about 3-4 km from an entrance but it’s steep and firewood’s jolly heavy isn’t it :)

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
National parks and National forests are a bit strict these days. But they provided facilities for the "GLAMPERS" Toilets, firepits, bins ect.
They will have rules on where you camp, when and how you can have a fire, and they normally wont allow cutting and collecting of fallen timber.

IMHO I think you want to look for the below.
Normally any "State forest" or "Crown Allotment/Land" or "Town Common" areas are less strict, in these areas you can generally camp anywhere but they don't provide any facilityies like toilets or fire pits, I have a lot of maps and guides for queensland. Feel free to PM me your rough location and i will see if i can find anything.

Markie D

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Google also found another state forest a little bit further out from Brisbane, it is named "Deer Reserve State Forest".

Not sure how accurate google is in your area so it might still be worth checking with local DES.
But if the two areas i mentioned are state forest, that is where i would be starting out...

1594099355027.png