Gluten Free Recipes

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Since being diagnosed as heavily gluten intolerant and changing my diet, two things have changed:

1) I can now do solid number 2's ,,,, and
2) I don't have a clue what to cook when out in the bush. Need dehydrated food ideas that don't revolve around pasta (Cannot stand the gluten free stuff) and Rice (also not a fan)

Any suggestions?

Askew

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've made a grain porridge when camping gluten free. Rice (leave it out if you want) quinoa, buckwheat, chia, millet etc with herbs and spices added to taste. Put it all in a zip lock bag, and when it's time to cook it just tip it into the billy, add water and a bit of oil, simmer till its all cooked. Lentils are another option.
Make bannock or damper using gluten free flour?
Hope this helps.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Baked potato in foil on fire. You could stuff it with your favourite mex meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
A "real simple" recipe is:

Deb
Powdered eggs
Herbs and spices (chili)
anything else you fancy (veg, peas, jerky, cheese, salami, other meats etc )
You can fry it into a pancake, or have it in a bowl of "guk"

As an alternative to pasta or rice there is also: quinoa and rice - You can get pre-mixed packets (or do your own). By mixing the 2 it changes the overall texture and flavour ... worth a try ?

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Welcome to my world Corin, I've been living this for 30 years now.
My favourite breakfast when out is bacon fried with selected veges. For dinner I do herbed mince & veges dehydrated. Mostly I have jerky or biltong to munch on rather than lunch.

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Taplow Junior is a coeliac so I cater for him when we go bush.

Bushchef's apple custard recipe (dried apple slices, sugar milk powder, custard powder) works well with gluten free custard (Birds is GF I think).

Damper made from gluten-free flour works well, as do pancakes - I find they can taste better than from wheat flour.

Jerky prepared at home is very popular (marinated in ketchup, soy sauce, chilli), and I always take some bacon slices to fry for breakfast - eaten with hard boiled eggs if we're doing a serious walk.

If you can be bothered to carry it in, salmon coated in herbs, salt and pepper in a zip lock back, then grilled over the open fire on sticks as described somewhere else on this site (by Wentworth?) is a great start to the evening meal.

Havamal

Les Stroud
Reaction score
i'm not gluten intolerent but I basically eat gluten free when im in the bush.

My advice.....eat meat.

People seems to work hard to reduce the weight of their food. Food is one of the best parts of being in the bush. Campfire cooking.

Spend some time and reduce your equipment weight, tht way you will be able to carry slightly heavier fresh food and not suffer for it.

Pack - 800g
Sleeping mat - 450g
Sleeping bag - 1100g
Tarp - 500g
Extra clothes and incidentals - 600g

That's 2.7kg

Add 1kg for water
1kg of food per day
And 2kg for tools (axe, knife, saw blade, fire kit, possibles pouch)

So for two nights I'm carrying 7.7kg

My diet would be bacon, eggs and sausage for breakfast, broth based soup for lunch with jerky or bacon in it, steak for dinner with roasted potatoes.

Blue Heeler

Russell Coight
Reaction score
As a gluten free Vegetarian I'd be doing
Trail Mix Nuts and dates
Fruit and Raw Veg.... carrots celery sweet potato
Quinoa or Cos-cos (I'd do the rice too though)
Dehydrated spag bol sauce no meat - re-hydrated and wrapped in cabbage leaves or spinach leaves
Because of the health aspects, I've had to look at food as fuel now rather than enjoyment. Took a while but I got there