Ghost House Walk Trail, Yanchep NP 24 March 2019. eBayChris

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Arrived at Yanchep NP at 05:47 this morning. Still dark and a teeth chattering 8degC!
Questioned the wisdom of a wearing just a pair of shorts and long sleeve shirt, but that's what I was wearing and that would have to do!
Note to self: put a pair of fecking gloves in my bag!
My hands were freezing and stayed that way for the first hour of the hike!

Gear for the trip:
SA Army shoulder bag with additional waist strap via MDU's shop. Bit of a mod with padded bits added to the shoulder and waist straps off and old pack.
Tracking/Trecking pole courtesy of Thrud.
eBay 'Tactical Molle Waist Belt'. Nice bit of kit from you know where for $13 delivered.

Loch McNess (stupid name) at dawn:

Hit the trail at 6am heading clockwise round the lake.

Came across this random tepee stick structure in the first 5 mins:

After 15 mins or so found the trail marker for the 'Ghost House' Trail:

Despite the stupid name, this really is a pretty special trail that takes you through combinations of Tuart Forrest, Banksia Woodland and Coastal Plain.

After about 90mins of pleasant walking with the odd Roo here and there and a multitude of bird life and song (including a couple of those little biddy bright blue wrens) you reach the establishment that gives its name to this trail:

I can only assume that the resident ghost is nocturnal as despite stopping and having a 'smoko' for 10 mins, he (or she or them) failed to make an appearance!

Just a couple of hundred metres further on, you reach 'Shapcott's Camp'.

Amenities include:

A long drop (which I took advantage of), the camp itself (very Bibb Track like) with water tank that had water, a fire place with log seats and a couple of picnic type tables:

Stopped for about 20 mins and had breakfast consisting of ham and cheese sarnies:

After reaching this approx half way point, I was finally starting to warm up as the sun climbed higher into the sky.

The trail itself is well marked and even I didn't manage to get lost, not even once. There are Bibb Track style triangular markers at fairly regular intervals. The trail consists of setions of soft sand, hard compacted sand and rocky limestone. For the most part its fairly flat but there a few inclines and declines to navigate.

There are a couple of caves worth a look as you reach the 3/4 stage:

But being on my lonesome didn't want to risk it.

I got back to the car at exactly 10am, 4 hours after I left. I would estimate that I spent 3 hours walking and 1 hour taking pics, eating and having smoko's.

It wasn't that busy on the trail. 2 joggers coming the opposite way in the first 90mins. A lady in a dayglow pink vest that must have been 65 if she was a day. We exchanged pleasantries. She wasn't breathing heavy in the slightest. The other, 15min later, was a bloke half her age who was blowing hard.
Other than that a couple walking, a group of 5 elderly folks walking - note all of them coming from the opposite direction.

That was it, less than 10 people in 4 hours.

Nobody caught me up or passed me doing the clockwise route.

All in all a very pleasant and enjoyable walk. I will/would certainly do it again.

An interesting side note. You come across this trail marker after an hour or so:

That might be an interesting one to look at another time. Perhaps on one of our meets, we could do this trail rather than camp out someplace. Logistical issues for sure but not insurmountable.

Here are some other photos from the morning:

Velociraptors on the trail!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Wow. Awesome stuff Chris. That three day walk looks the goods. There's your trip sorted. Don't muck about. That's the one. Let's do it.
Cheers
Bloffy

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Wow. Awesome stuff Chris. That three day walk looks the goods. There's your trip sorted. Don't muck about. That's the one. Let's do it.
Cheers
Bloffy
We'd likely have to have/leave vehicles at both ends Mate to make it work.....! Would take a bit of organising (or obliging Partners). Count mine out for starters....LOL.
Start at the far end and work our way back to Yanchep would make more sense... potentially..!!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Can do the car ferry thing. Leave Thrud's Mercedes at one end and Redtail's Rover at the other. What could go wrong???
Is there a bail out halfway? Maybe a two day walk if pressed for time.
Cheers
Bloffy

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Mate, I'll have to try and find some more details/info. You currently know as Much as I do...!!

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Starts in Yanchep and finishes in some conservation park on Neaves Rd.
Sound more doable by the moment...!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I’ve sold the Merc for a Bentley. I’ll have my man drop us off and collect us....

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I’m more than happy to leave my work car at one end lol

We should be able to manage it MDU. Neaves Rd is not a million miles away and Yanchep NP is only 15 mins from my place!!

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Arrived at Yanchep NP at 05:47 this morning. Still dark and a teeth chattering 8degC!
Questioned the wisdom of a wearing just a pair of shorts and long sleeve shirt, but that's what I was wearing and that would have to do!
Note to self: put a pair of fecking gloves in my bag!
My hands were freezing and stayed that way for the first hour of the hike!

Gear for the trip:
SA Army shoulder bag with additional waist strap via MDU's shop. Bit of a mod with padded bits added to the shoulder and waist straps off and old pack.
Tracking/Trecking pole courtesy of Thrud.
eBay 'Tactical Molle Waist Belt'. Nice bit of kit from you know where for $13 delivered.

Loch McNess (stupid name) at dawn:

Hit the trail at 6am heading clockwise round the lake.

Came across this random tepee stick structure in the first 5 mins:

After 15 mins or so found the trail marker for the 'Ghost House' Trail:

After about 90mins of pleasant walking with the odd Roo here and there and a multitude of bird life and song (including a couple of those little biddy bright blue wrens) you reach the establishment that gives its name to this trail:

I can only assume that the resident ghost is nocturnal as despite stopping and having a 'smoko' for 10 mins, he (or she or them) failed to make an appearance!

Just a couple of hundred metres further on, you reach 'Shapcott's Camp'.

Amenities include:

A long drop (which I took advantage of), the camp itself (very Bibb Track like) with water tank that had water, a fire place with log seats and a couple of picnic type tables:

Stopped for about 20 mins and had breakfast consisting of ham and cheese sarnies:

After reaching this approx half way point, I was finally starting to warm up as the sun climbed higher into the sky.

The trail itself is well marked and even I didn't manage to get lost, not even once. There are Bibb Track style triangular markers at fairly regular intervals. The trail consists of setions of soft sand, hard compacted sand and rocky limestone. For the most part its fairly flat but there a few inclines and declines to navigate.

There are a couple of caves worth a look as you reach the 3/4 stage:

But being on my lonesome didn't want to risk it.

I got back to the car at exactly 10am, 4 hours after I left. I would estimate that I spent 3 hours walking and 1 hour taking pics, eating and having smoko's.

It wasn't that busy on the trail. 2 joggers coming the opposite way in the first 90mins. A lady in a dayglow pink vest that must have been 65 if she was a day. We exchanged pleasantries. She wasn't breathing heavy in the slightest. The other, 15min later, was a bloke half her age who was blowing hard.
Other than that a couple walking, a group of 5 elderly folks walking - note all of them coming from the opposite direction.

That was it, less than 10 people in 4 hours.

Nobody caught me up or passed me doing the clockwise route.

All in all a very pleasant and enjoyable walk. I will/would certainly do it again.

An interesting side note. You come across this trail marker after an hour or so:

That might be an interesting one to look at another time. Perhaps on one of our meets, we could do this trail rather than camp out someplace. Logistical issues for sure but not insurmountable.

Looks as though that tipi structure is now a roo camp.
Keith.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
There was probably 4 or 5 in the immediate vacinity, but they bounded off as I approached.....

Cool trip

Cheeky bugger. Looks like Skippy's returned with grey hair, demanding more pay for all the time he put in in the 70's bouncing around Waratah National Park:_risata:

The 'ghost walk' bit might have made camping there uneasy:triste:

Last edited:

Chris8546

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Cheers
Bloffy
G'day Bloffy/All
For those that may have seen the post I did last night on MDU's John Forrest National Park walk on the 07 April - which unfortunately I now can't do due to newly scheduled surgery for Monday 2nd April to fix the problem with the compressed nerve in my C7 vertebrae and the horrible shoulder and arm pain that that causes. Regrettably I'll be lying in a hospital bed while your out on the JFNP trail.

I would therefore respectfully suggest/propose/request that for those wishing to give this Coastal Plain Trail a bash (which I most certainly do!!) - we don't do it in early May but leave it till the Spring instead. Presumably better to see the wildflowers at that time of year anyway....

BUT PLEASE NOTE I would still be up for a May camp out of the more static variety. No problem to do some general walking - like we did at Jayes Bridge, but Im not going to be able to hump a heavy pack 55km in 2-3 days.
Particularly as the Surgeon will take a thumb nail sized piece of bone from my hip to assist with the widening and fusion of the Vertebrae. He tells me most folks complain that this pain is significantly worse than the pain in your neck, post Op.
I would just need Thrud's Man (and Bentley) or any other willing volunteer to give me a ride to the location of the meet as I'm not allowed to drive for 6 weeks post Op.