Getting away from the city, April 2014

rock41

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hello, and thanks for such a great forum.

We visited W.A. from the UK ten years ago, headed off to Kalgoorlie and went out with Geoffrey Stokes. What an amazing experience. Goana should be on restaurant menus!

We are coming back, tickets booked for april 2014 and are looking for a professional guide to take me, my dad and my 2 sons out for a couple of days and a night, can anyone recommend a service? I've sent out a few emails but it seems that a lot has changed in 10 years, whereas we ate what was shot, most of these are now apparently 'tours' which culminate in you buying some artwork......

Any thoughts are appreciated. We fly into Perth.

thanks again

Matt and family

Skandiman

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
G'day Mate! Unfortunately, I'm not from W.A. so can't be of any help to you..... just wanted to say what a shame it is that you won't be here in January to see Australian wrap up the cricket 5-0. You have a great time in the golden West!

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

sorry I can't help you, (I'm on the other side of the country).

I presume you want to spend your time around the south of WA ?

What sort of things do you want to do ? Hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, sight seeing ?

Would you consider going by yourselves, or would you prefer a "private tour", or some kind of tag-along-tour ?
There are lots of great places to visit around that area, especially if you have a 4wd (and hire a satellite phone for emergencies ...).

I presume you have done an internet search. Here's a couple for google.com.au which trun up various trips :

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=wa+adventure+tours&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=W7abUp6pOMyN8QfM24DICQ&gws_rd=cr#q=wa+adventure+tours&rls=com.microsoft:en-au%3AIE-SearchBox

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=wa+adventure+tours&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-au:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=W7abUp6pOMyN8QfM24DICQ&gws_rd=cr#q=kalgoorlie+adventure+tours&rls=com.microsoft:en-au%3AIE-SearchBox

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
If you are intersted in walking some of the Bibbulman track near Perth. I might be able to guide you. I don't know everything but I can make sure you make it back out.

rock41

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the replies. Last time we went out (any it's expensive when the journey originates in the UK) it was a bit of a once in a lifetime, it was a case of 'eat what you get' etc. No cans of beans here. In the UK we fish, shoot and even my sons do firelighting etc and love to eat what they catch when we've been on the boat. Aus is a whole other environment, the challenges of the desert and completely new flora and fauna. We (ideally) would venture out and live off the land for a couple of days (limited timewise as the children do need consideration). Geoffrey Stokes was one hell of a character to do this with, don't know if any of you are familiar with him, out of Kalgoorlie. Not every day you learn to gut a goana with a barbed stick..........He has now retired and although I have emailed various trips, they seem to more or less walk you around a park then try to sell you some art that you dont want. Maybe we are a dying breed!

MercuryFMJ

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I don't even know where it would be legal to live off the land these days. It's very unfortunate but it's technically illegal even to take anything you've found out of a National Park. If you're way out in the desert and not in a national park it might be different but I still doubt there would be any eating of native species. I know you can do it if you get an Aboriginal guide as they are allowed to hunt and gather things for you, but they may not allow you to join the hunting.
I might be wrong but you'll definitely need to find out what's legal in each particular area as we very much like to ban everything in this country and we have very strict laws about wildlife and wilderness.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Rock41, What's your itinerary? There's a few survival companies in WA. Bob Cooper www.bobcoopersurvival.com/ comes with a good reputation. Thrud has done the basic course with him from memory and offers some great hints etc. He runs this on the outskirts of Perth from memory.
Plenty of good countryside south of Perth but there is a unique and diverse range of scenery throughout the State.
Cheers
Bloffy