G'day

Ranger

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey everybody. Located in South Coast NSW here.

Looking forward to learning together.

My interests are in camping, hiking, birdwatching, fishing, Aboriginal culture, ethnobotany, tool restoration, woodcarving, foraging and probably a few others I have forgotten.

I spent a lot of time outdoors as a young lad in New Zealand, nearly everyday was spent with my friends catching eels, making tree huts exploring and getting into mischief. I have been living in Australia for much of my adult life and have come to love the Australian wilderness. I am currently learning woodcarving at a local woodworkers group and looking to learn more about canoeing/kayaking, hunting and ethnobotany in Australia. I am also very interested in learning about bushcraft and travelling in the arid areas of Australia (I sometimes get the feeling an automative course at TAFE would cover most of the basics lol).

Anyway give us a yell if you want.

Ranger

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Welcome! With interests like those I think you'll be right at home here.

Ranger

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks Askew. Basic wood carving with hand tools and machines. Hatchet handles, decorative things, bowls etc. I'm working on a pine fox statuette at the moment and made a hatchet handle out of tallowood before that.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day Ranger and welcome. Grade three was the best four years of my life so pardon my ignorance. Ethnobotany, I assume, is what plants were put to what uses by First Australians and/or early pioneers? Fascinating area of study. I am starting to wish I knew more about this field. It is so diverse and even regional plant life variations, climate, etc would lead to significantly different uses IMHO.
Looking forward to your contributions.
Cheers
Bloffy