G'day from WA

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking around checking out the forum for a couple of months now and finally got around to joining up (as I am currently on holidays).

A little about me; I'm from WA, 38, married with five(!) kids (three from my previous marriage).
My youngest are 1 and 6 weeks old so as you can imagine I'm not really in a position to get out and do much currently, but I have been enjoying reading some of the posts on here, reading other articles online about Bush Tucker & knowledge and the like. I've also been watching some YouTube channels like Scotty Gone Walkabout, TA Outdoors, My Self Reliance etc, and rereading my Les Hiddins Bush Tucker Field Guide.

I enjoy camping and the outdoors, have done since I was a kid. I was lucky enough to grow up in the wheatbelt an hour east of Perth, and did both cubs and scouts. I've also helped out with some cadet units (Emergency Services and Bush Rangers) at a some of the schools I have worked at. Camping and learning about the Bush is something I've always loved.

A few years ago my wife and I started an Instagram page to share our enjoyment of camping and the outdoors. It's been a bit neglected since the two bubs have come along but I'm looking forward to getting it a bit more regular once they are a bit older and we can get back out there again!

Anyway there is plenty more I could say about myself but I don't want to blow my own trumpet too hard!

Would live to know how many WA folk are on the forum?

Cheers guys 👍🏼

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I've got five kids too so understand the lack of time. It's great though when they get a bit bigger and want to do stuff with you.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, dont think i need to say there is lots here to read as you say you have been
checking out the forum for a couple of months, guessing you got the hang of whats here :p

Scotty Gone Walkabout, yep i follow him as well, great content and dab hand at his video editing, still has to get the hang at catching fish lol
another you may like is Eric OFF-Track https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsVh1eOpxbsE5Cjk_GjxpEQ/videos

anyway welcome and enjoy

ps i am on the east coast NSW, yeah all the fires a crook :confused: lots of my hiking and kayak locations burnt out

Cheers Mozz

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Welcome!
There are quite a few from WA here. Bloffy maintains a list...
Always good to have more on board. As you probably know we start posting about meets months beforehand, sometimes something happens!!

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I've got five kids too so understand the lack of time. It's great though when they get a bit bigger and want to do stuff with you.
Cheers Askew, how old are your kids? Mine are 6 weeks, 17 months, 7, 10 & 13.

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, dont think i need to say there is lots here to read as you say you have been
checking out the forum for a couple of months, guessing you got the hang of whats here :p

Scotty Gone Walkabout, yep i follow him as well, great content and dab hand at his video editing, still has to get the hang at catching fish lol
another you may like is Eric OFF-Track https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsVh1eOpxbsE5Cjk_GjxpEQ/videos

anyway welcome and enjoy

ps i am on the east coast NSW, yeah all the fires a crook :confused: lots of my hiking and kayak locations burnt out

Cheers Mozz
Cheers Mozz. I'll have to check out Eric Off Track thanks!

Absolutely horrible and devastating stuff for you guys over there but also some amazing and inspiring stuff with people coming together to support and care for each other. Or thoughts are with you all.

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Welcome!
There are quite a few from WA here. Bloffy maintains a list...
Always good to have more on board. As you probably know we start posting about meets months beforehand, sometimes something happens!!
Cheers Thrud, I'll have to have a search for that list! Are you from WA?

Outventures_WA

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Welcome to the campsite . So at the moment , what knife do you favour when you head out camping ?
G'day Barra,
Unfortunately I rarely get out much at the moment and the last few trips have been car camping trips, so I can't really answer this question too well.
Generally speaking though I carry my Vitorinox SAK. I'm not entirely sure what model it is (I'll have to have a look!)
I also have a single blade locking pocket knife I've had since I was 13.
I dont have a proper bushcraft knife yet, my plan is to start out with a Morakniv Companion. As much as I'd love to get something more expensive (ideally a Morakniv Garberg) I have to be pretty budget conscious.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I don't have kids at home anymore , but I know how it was to really keep a check on the dollars . At times I will swap out different fixed blades , but my Swiss Army Hunter is always with me .

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
G'day Barra,
Unfortunately I rarely get out much at the moment and the last few trips have been car camping trips, so I can't really answer this question too well.
Generally speaking though I carry my Vitorinox SAK. I'm not entirely sure what model it is (I'll have to have a look!)
I also have a single blade locking pocket knife I've had since I was 13.
I dont have a proper bushcraft knife yet, my plan is to start out with a Morakniv Companion. As much as I'd love to get something more expensive (ideally a Morakniv Garberg) I have to be pretty budget conscious.
The Mora's are great knives, you won't regret getting one. I've got a few different knives, but the companion is a favourite for lots of reasons.