gday from bendigo

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
hi all absolute newby here only just realised i was into bushcraft im into shooting/hunting camping 4wdriving
i also have a touring kayak but yet to do any touring im keen to get into hiking and backpack hunting.
but with so many hobbies and basically no spare time (permanent casual maintenance fitter rotating shifts)
with a 2 year old daughter mortgage and just got engaged the good news however is im only 23 so i got time on
my side.

Im looking for a cheap easy starting project any suggestions?

Last edited:

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Payney from Bendigo - the pottery capital of Oz!

With regards to a project - some of the other members will have better ideas than me, but given previous posting on this forum, I'd suggest a knife as a first project? (A fitter will probably have all the tools needed, eh?)

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
i have always wanted to make a knife im a little obsessed with blades tbh i have some old leaf springs out the back that
tempt me iv heard these can make a good knife? what other options are there?

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
and yes im in no shortage for tools lol more than you can poke a stick at

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Hi Payney,
With the intrests you've listed, this is the forum to be on.
Hairy

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Gidday Payney, welcome to the forum.

Cheap, quality equipment is the goal for most of us, I certainly don't have a lot of disposable income to throw at gear. As far as knives go(one of the most important BC items)both Mora and Condor offer quality knives at reasonable prices.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Gday payney,

Good to have you on the forum mate.

If you want to try a knife. Grinding yourself from leaf springs will work a treat. If you don't want to go down that road you can order the blank and make your own handle. AKC's knife making supplies have some good stuff and are Australian.

http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/supplies.html

Otherwise there is a bunch of overseas suppliers like Brisa. www.brisa.fi

Check out the homemade skills forum for some knifemaking ideas and inspiration

I made my first knife earlier this year and I'm up to number 5 now. It's a rewarding and enjoyable process.

http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?15-Homemade-Skills

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Payney, welcome to the mob, looks like you suffer from the same issues as the rest of us time wise! With your background a knife is a great first project. Anyhow look forward to hearing more from you, and seeing what you come up with.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Payney.

Hunting should provide some great source materials to use and re-work into bushcraft projects - leather, bone, antler, tusks, sinue ... Not to mention meat and cooking.

Speaking for myself I'm interested in what's around me in the bush when I'm camping, walking or doing anything outside. Trying to develop a bushcraft attitude encourages me to learn a bit more about what's around me and how it can be used. The more you know and start to develop an interest in certain "topics" the more inspired to research into it and learn more.

Bushcraft is very low cost, as much effort as you like, and whenever you feel like it. Although if you have lots of time and money that can be very handy too !

I hope you enjoy the forum.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
thanks to everyone for the welcome. I do already have a few knives but i think time wise i might buy a blank and scales
for my first project leave the leaf springs for next year sometime when i have more time. if i get time tonight i might try
post a pic of my current collection in the show us ya knife section cheers guys.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Welcome to the tribe...

As for projects, look into something that will help you with things you already do, like a haversack for hunting with or some such, or perhaps try a little wood carving and make a cup pr spoon, etc...

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
i need to find a project that costs nothing at all that can be done with the tools i already have and only a little time in the afternoon/evening
because we are about to start christmas shutdown with a minimum 10 hour days. but the missus and the little one are off to gippsland
on boxing day til after new years so i will have a bit of time but not a lot of energy suggestions?

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. There is never any rush with projects. I have one going, have the materials but yet have to erect it. Once the heat clears up here in QLD I will build. When working I only get home on weekends so I just take my time. Hope you enjoy the site.