BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird Galah (Cacatua roseicapilla)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Common Name: Galah

Scientific name: Cacatua roseicapilla

Family: Cacatuidae

Order: Psittaciformes

Other Names: N/A

Distribution: occurring over most of Australia, including some offshore islands.

Habitat: large flocks in a variety of timbered habitats, usually near water.

Field Notes: rose-pink head, neck and underparts, with paler pink crown, and grey back, wings and undertail, birds from west usually paler. acrobatic flight, noisy, congregate and roost together at night.

Photos by Auscraft, 2011. My Yard, QLD

View attachment 914
Photo By Auscraft Sept 2011

Last edited:

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
More pics

DSC_7897.jpg

DSC_7909.jpg

chutes

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Thanks Dusty. That second photo was the only useable one out of a set of about 7. I think the viewfinder is out of focus ;)

I don't know much about Galahs, so is anyone able to advise whether the pair in my second photo are mother and juvenile or are a breeding pair? They were sitting up in the tree in the hottest part of the day just preening each other for about 15 minutes. Very sweet.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Juveniles tend to be a bit paler than adults so I think this is probably a bonded pair.
Galahs seem to spend a lot of time just siting around so the must be pretty efficient
foragers. They also like to practise flying as fast as possible dodging and weaving in a flock.
I think this is to prepare for attack by various falcons which dont mind the odd galah.
They can also be seen returning to their roosting area late in the afternoon in pairs
just like in the old Jolliffe cartoons (never seen one with the hobnail boots but).

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
I will agree with a bonded pair the Juvenile is duller (more greyer around face and breast)