BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friction Fire Fail

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a fun friction fire fail on the weekend

There's been lots of rain over recent weeks. I found a dead, standing black wattle (which I had seen recommended by a respected source)
- I thought I'd give it a go

20211121_152437.jpg

... and why make 1 set, when you can make 2 ?
20211121_160827.jpg

Burn in worked well ... but I could feel the wood was a little damp, soaked through from the outside ...
20211121_164623.jpg

Lots of dust and smoke, but no coal or fire ...
20211121_170733.jpg

I thought I'd take it home and dry it out properly and try again.
... Being impatient I thought I'd microwave the wood to speed up the drying

I took the warm wood out of the microwave and put it on the floor ... I was very surprised when I picked it up a few mins later ... lots of condensed water
coming out of the wood.

I repeated a few times, and each time I got more water.
The photo doesn't do justice to it, but I was surprised how much water came out and it only felt a little damp.

Its sunny today, so I'll leave it on a window sill to continue drying
20211123_140444.jpg

(Caution: Microwaving wood is a fire hazard so follow the instructions and be cautious)

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I had a fun friction fire fail on the weekend

There's been lots of rain over recent weeks. I found a dead, standing black wattle (which I had seen recommended by a respected source)
- I thought I'd give it a go

View attachment 28699

... and why make 1 set, when you can make 2 ?
View attachment 28700

Burn in worked well ... but I could feel the wood was a little damp, soaked through from the outside ...
View attachment 28701

Lots of dust and smoke, but no coal or fire ...
View attachment 28702

I thought I'd take it home and dry it out properly and try again.
... Being impatient I thought I'd microwave the wood to speed up the drying

I took the warm wood out of the microwave and put it on the floor ... I was very surprised when I picked it up a few mins later ... lots of condensed water
coming out of the wood.

I repeated a few times, and each time I got more water.
The photo doesn't do justice to it, but I was surprised how much water came out and it only felt a little damp.

Its sunny today, so I'll leave it on a window sill to continue drying
View attachment 28703

(Caution: Microwaving wood is a fire hazard so follow the instructions and be cautious)
I will not say this is the wrong wood to use Aussie, but there are better alternatives, & soft woods are better than hard woods.

Hope this helps.
Regards, Keith.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Keith.

I agree, but the tree was there and I thought I'd give it a go ! And once its properly dry, I'll try it again !
There is native mulberry and xmas bush in the area, which are very good for fire

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Great post Aussie, I've never tried black wattle for fire by fiction.
We've got about 100% humidity here at the moment and I can imagine water running out of the wood in a similar way.
I just need a little dynamo rig for a microwave!

Kindlling

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I’ve seen the so called survival experts, when dropped in the jungle somewhere out of their element on those survival type tv shows, and they’ve generally failed en mass at lighting friction fire due to moisture and humidity .

always wondered what the solution was Aussie ! :)

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I’ve seen the so called survival experts, when dropped in the jungle somewhere out of their element on those survival type tv shows, and they’ve generally failed en mass at lighting friction fire due to moisture and humidity .

always wondered what the solution was Aussie ! :)
Before I started teaching fire bow fire lighting, I went into the forest in winter on a day when it was pouring with rain. I had no tools with me what so ever, I had to make everything from scratch. I did make fire that day using the fire bow that I made, so it can be done.
Regards, Keith.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've been watching Alone : The Beast.
seeing them struggle, on occasion for 8 hours to get friction fire is interesting. Using reed knife to butcher game was also fascinating.
worth a watch.