Freight forwarding

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've spotted the occasional reference to "freight forwarding" in a few posts.
Basically, it means paying someone a (small) to receive packages for you inside the USA (or other countries) and then send them on to you back in Aus at whatever postage rate you choose.
Many US companies will only sell to US addresses. Why, I don't know.

Anyhoo ...

I've been checking out http://www.shipito.com/. Reports are generally positive.
A Google will pull up some negative comments. But they seem to be all of a theme, and some suggestion that it's targetted negative feedback from the competition.

Is anyone using them, or any other freight forwarder?
Can you recommend one?

Upsides? Downsides? Discuss ...

BTW - this is not about doing anything illegal; importing contraband; deceiving Customs. Let me be clear on that.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've been using myus.com and generally happy with them but I chose them simply because a received an ongoing 30% off shipping and waived annual membership from them.

Only downside is they sometime don't like to ship perfectly legal items. eg didn't want to ship some target arrow points as they're weapon related (while oddly the arrow shafts in the same package were OK) but I argued they're not at all weapon related but are merely sporting goods to which they agreed.

Anyway it's been useful for companies, or more likely brands, that won't ship outside the US, especially when combined with free conus shipping.

Radar

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Been using shipito for a few years - had no complaints in that time, and I've "saved" a heap of money (which I then spend on more gear!)

I have noticed recently that more and more places (that I shop at) send to Australia and I've been able to get better value not using shipito - only about 50% of my US bought stuff comes through shipito now.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Big fan of Shipito. Like Radar I price shipping direct to Australia & within US. A lot of places ship for free within US. Where it really saves you is when you're bringing a few things over because they can consolidate your packages into one box. You choose if you want the original box it was shipped in, retail package or the item only. Obviously you can fit more in with the less extra packaging you keep. Generally you can get about 12kg over in 3-6 days for about $150. Just be careful not to go over the $1000 value or you'll be hit with import duties.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Redtail, have a look at HOPSHOPGO as it is run by PAYPAL. I have an Oregan address:risatonaD:

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I had an issue with shipito, with regards to them deciding that certain items could not be shipped. I had shipped a very similar item three months before with no problem. If you go with them I'd suggest double checking their prohibited items list and sending a message to confirm they can ship something if you are in any way unsure. On the whole they were a fast and efficient service.

Redtail

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I had an issue with shipito, with regards to them deciding that certain items could not be shipped. I had shipped a very similar item three months before with no problem. If you go with them I'd suggest double checking their prohibited items list and sending a message to confirm they can ship something if you are in any way unsure. On the whole they were a fast and efficient service.
Both Shipito and Hopshopgo have extensive lists on "prohibited and restricted" goods.

I've put an order through HopShopGo, and I guess I'll see how we go.

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Both Shipito and Hopshopgo have extensive lists on "prohibited and restricted" goods.

I've put an order through HopShopGo, and I guess I'll see how we go.
They do, but in this case they changed the list with no warning. Also calling an antique bayonet a wooden item. The handle scales were wood but given the thing was made over a hundred years before I was born it's not the sort of thing customs would take issue with, and indeed they did not. My point was they can be somewhat arbitrary in how they follow their restrictions, and to check if you're not absolutely sure they will ship something for you.