Mammal Fox tracks and their maker..

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Have had a camera out for a few weeks, caught this fox a couple of times. Interesting tracks, one you can see front and rear in the same spot and the other? I guess the fox was stretching or something similar. I whistled it in on Sunday and watched it for about 40 minutes. Not skittish but very wary!IMG_2594.jpgIMG_2595.jpgMFDC3938.jpg

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
That's cool, is the camera a motion activated?

The print with the two claw marks look like the back paw prints that my cat leaves when pouncing.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks for that Lep, I knew somebody would know.
Yes, motion activated. Very good unit. I've had the same lithium batteries in it for nearly a year and it has taken over 3000 pics including black flash.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks for that Lep, I knew somebody would know.
Yes, motion activated. Very good unit. I've had the same lithium batteries in it for nearly a year and it has taken over 3000 pics including black flash.
Motion activated trail cameras is something that I'm very interested in. Would you please tell me the brand and model number?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hi Biggles1024,

It is a Moultrie 990I gen 2. I bought it about a year ago (do not buy from Trailcameras Australia) It is easy to use, has an inbuilt monitor, has a fast trigger time, a black flash and will record video and sound and combinations thereof.
It has spent most of that time outdoors in all weather (western Australia)
It has a detection range of about 8m, though I think a little less for foxes. The only problems I have had are when I have put it too near branches, when cattle used it as a rub and when a spider made a web in front of it.

I am not sure if there is something more modern, but I would buy another one from this manufacturer.
Look for a fast trigger time and black flash

Happy to send you some pics.

No affiliation

Last edited:

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Thrud. I've added your comments to my notes. I'm a little way off buying anything so I've got plenty of time to keep researching. Its always good to hear from someone who is actually using a piece of equipment, even more so when they've been using it for more than 5 minutes which seems to be about the length of time YouTube reviewers use anything.

Cheers,

b.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I did once and got some results, but the places I have set up the camera with repeat success is a small crossing over a brook. I've been logging this area for a while now and trying to see if there is any sort of pattern emerging over the months.