BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

• As of the 01/01/2023 the Bushcraft Oz Forum is now closed and has been placed in Archive mode. New Posts and Post Replies have been disabled but existing content can still be viewed. For more information please see the following post for more infomation. It is our goal to retain the wondeful contributions to the Bushcraft community over the years and a more appropriate way of displaying this is being considered for the future so the information is not lost. A perminent web archive of the forum state as of 30 Jan 2022 has been captured and can be viewed herea>.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure and for your contributions over the years!

Forum Closure Announcement

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
G'Day to all members. I hope this message finds you all well.

I am writing to let you know that I have made the decision to close the BuscraftOz forum as of the new year 01/01/2023. Over the last few years we have seen a reduction in usage as more users transition to other platforms and this has coincided with less time on my end to work on promoting and developing the site as well. As of the 1st of January 2023 the forum will move into archive mode and will be closed for posting.

Due to the great deal of information that has been contributed to the forum over it's nearly 12 years online we are hesitant to shut it down completely so the current plan is that it may remain an archived resource online for those interested in learning more about Australian Bushcraft online. I will make a determination of how to format or display the archived information at a later date but as of the 1st it will no longer be an active forum for posting new content. If there are other active bushcraft groups that you will be active on and would like to let users about this before we close please feel free to do so.

I want to thank so much all the members who have contributed to the community over the years, organised meets and shared their knowledge. Many have been with us from the start and still post today. You all produced a terrific resource for Australian bushcraft and no doubt inspired many to learn more and care for our unique and beautiful natural landscape. Your contributions to this community far exceeded what I thought was possible and I can only say Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

The final word must go to the incredible support staff of this forum, without whom this community would not have been possible. They gave their time for this forum and that can never be repaid but I'm lifted up by thinking of the great contribution to Australian bushcraft that they, along with the members help foster. Their dedication, care, support and advice has been so instrumental in making the forum what it is and on a personal level, a tremendous support behind the scenes. We have had many moderators over the years but in particular I would like to express my most heartfelt gratitude to:

Corin, Wentworth, Howling Dingo, Aussie123, Mozzie, pap11y and BushChef as well as our archivists Hairyman and Dusty Miller.

Thank you all for a wonderful adventure. I wish you all love and peace over the horizon.

Chigger

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Very saddened to read the impending closure as this site is a great resource and sharing of information. Admit I have not been posting much at all as my outdoor and bushcraft activities have pretty well come to a crashing halt.

Rain, rain and more rain over the past few months has made outdoor activities almost impossible to organise. Every time I want to go out on a camping trip rain is about.
The huge floods just about everywhere have killed off any outback travel. All the inland national parks are either closed or have heavy restrictions placed on activities. Often no camping permitted.

Roads have been destroyed in many places. Even bitumen roads have had been lifted up and washed away.
A couple of months ago tried to go to one of my favourite camping spots. A few years ago had driven a small car on this unsealed road without to much difficulty.
On this occassion after the rains was amazed to see 50M or more washed out quagmires which even my 4WD struggled to negotiate. Did not get to the favourite campsite and had to camp somewhere else. Could not believe the damage done to this country road.
Talking to local farmers I know in this area even they have been bogged on the public roads and had to be pulled out by someone with a tractor.

These roads are now closed to only local traffic so that is the end of any visits to this area for the foreseable future. Which is one of my favorite bushwalking and camping places.

As far as I am concerned that is the end of any real outdoor bushcraft activities for the foreseable future until the rains abate and the flood waters receed.

Probably early December the rains will slow down a bit and can go on a bushwalk.

Guess others are in the same situation.

koalaboi

Ray Mears
Reaction score
That’s a real shame. I check the forum out on a daily basis but can understand your position. Over recent times, the posts have largely been concentrated on a couple of topics,mostly knives etc. and the diversity of information that was coming in regularly in the past has dried up.

A big thank you to the team who kept the forum running and also to all who have posted as you have made my time as a member interesting and informative.

KB

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Shame but could see this it coming for a long time. Any fourm members please feel free to add me on Facebook..

old4570

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hmmmmm , yes !
Activity levels seemed to drop from around the late 20 teens ..
Last comp was .......... 2018 .

Just a shame ..
There seems to be a reasonable amount of walk thru traffic , but member activity ?

FB and me ? They have locked me out of my acc too many times now for BS reasons ...

Last time for posting FLASHLIGHT reviews ... ( Flashlights )

It will be shame for the only Bushcraft forum in Oz ( ? ) to close .

Tas

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Shame but could see this it coming for a long time. Any fourm members please feel free to add me on Facebook..

Just added you mate craigmichelle done

Tas

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I know I haven’t been active for a long time but as of late just started seeing the talent of some of the bushcrafters on here , thank you Blake for an awesome forum and all the hours you and the admins have done over the years , I wish you all the best in the future

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Very sad to hear this. I have met a lot of fantastic people with amazing skill sets and generous with their knowledge both on the forum and in person. I thank you Blake and Mods for all the effort you have put in over the years. Kept me sane! Not a FB person, more of a social media dinosaur, if anyone is starting something up let me know.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Sad news but not unexpected. Sorry to hear it. I too got so much from this forum particularly in the early days. It was (and still is) a wonderful place a resource but I am just too busy now to participate.
Well done one making it happen Blake

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
I've enjoyed the forum and in particular meeting the members at the meets and trips over the years.
Members gave demonstrations on flint knapping, basket weaving, bush foods and medicines, carving, cooking, fire making and more. I learned a tonne.

Thanks to all who shared their skills and adventures.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
its been a great ride, learned a LOT, shared a LOT, have met some great knowledgeable bush crafters along the way.

Hard to believe i have been here for 10 years, where did it go.....WOW

Askew

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
A big thank you to Blake and everyone else for keeping the forum running for do long. It's a great place, I've learnt a lot and hopefully contributed something worthwhile.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Yes Blake, I thank you too. It is quite a commitment.

I was waiting to see if someone came up with the idea of creating a fb group. I just did simply to see if it could be done. I've made it a private group, because I don't know. If anyone is interested in joining, giving direction or whatever; I'm guessing I can make anyone an admin. I've named it bushcraft oz. I don't want it to be my group so any discussion on this (including name) is good. Anyone here who applies to join is in - also let me know if you want to be an admin too.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Blake, I thank you too. It is quite a commitment.

I was waiting to see if someone came up with the idea of creating a fb group. I just did simply to see if it could be done. I've made it a private group, because I don't know. If anyone is interested in joining, giving direction or whatever; I'm guessing I can make anyone an admin. I've named it bushcraft oz. I don't want it to be my group so any discussion on this (including name) is good. Anyone here who applies to join is in - also let me know if you want to be an admin too.
As i recall we did have a facebook page at one stage :unsure:
think i still have its old artwork!

There is an 'Bushcraft Australia' group 8.6k members

Taplow

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks Blake and the team for all the hard work over the years. I've learnt so much from this site and enjoyed meeting some of you. Glad to hear the site will be archived.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear about the closure of this forum, I don't this there is another one like it.
Wishing you all the best Blake. If I can ever be of any assistance, contact me.
Regards, Keith.