Foraging for Blackberries

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Around my part of the world, wild blackberries are just starting to ripen:

I was out on a walk, but managed to fill a large cup, a billy and stove pot .... and ate way tooo many fresh too.
They are great put directly into a roll to make a filling

Back home, more were eaten fresh and a few made it to breakfast the next day.
But a jar full were set aside and topped up with vodka to make a liquor.
Just berries covered in booze. After a month or so I'll scoop the berries out and eat them and do something with the liquor. YUM !

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
A good friend of mine is German. She took me around the streets of Hobart to help her collect elder berries. They were growing all over the place. We had about 4 gallons I think. She made a huge vat of cordial.
We grew up picking black berries. In victoria there are a lot of foxes. During blackberry season their poo is nearly all seed. Same with birds. That's why blackberries grow along farm fence lines; birds eat the blackberries, sit on the fence and have a poo

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
yeap the blackberries are going off here in ballarat atm, the missus went and collected few last week and made me up some jam.... Yum....
I just collected a nice bag of plums from around the local park (it has a few plum trees)
the missus is gonna turn these into jam also.... (if they survive till the weekend, They are so hard to resist)
P.s. I like your Vodka Idea (or maybe i just like vodka) i might try that next time.....

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
i had a feed of blackberries a few days ago, they were huge and so were the spikes on the vines, think its been the new rain and heat, going back on monday with a fence paling and a bucket :p
20200211_090250.jpg

20200211_090307.jpg