Footwear - what works for you?

Nomad

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I'm a size 14 US or 48 EU and quite wide.

I wandered down to a local outdoors store and picked up a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX's (non-current boot on special for $220)

Stepping into them the first time it was a glove like fit, they hug me in all the right places.

I spent a full day abusing them in every way and they stayed comfortable, cool and dry with a great amount of ankle support.

Time will tell as the boots wear in and become formed to my feet, I expect a great level of comfort.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I'm a size 14 US or 48 EU and quite wide.

I wandered down to a local outdoors store and picked up a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX's (non-current boot on special for $220)

Stepping into them the first time it was a glove like fit, they hug me in all the right places.

I spent a full day abusing them in every way and they stayed comfortable, cool and dry with a great amount of ankle support.

Time will tell as the boots wear in and become formed to my feet, I expect a great level of comfort.
Interesting ... Scarpa aren't known for their wide fit. I use them because I have typically Aussie long and narrow "roo" feet.
My first pair were Trek's in leather, and I replaced them about 3 years ago with the Kailash in Goretex. A much lighter boot, but hard to keep clean. This is important where I walk due to the spread of dieback. I've also heard, and tend to think, leather dries quicker if soaked, where the GoreTex doesn't breathe as well as I like. Next season I may go back to the leather, and do a comparison.
Let us know how yours wear in.

If I'm car camping, I can't go past my Blundstones. So easy to slip on and off outside the tent.
And if I've been walking all day, I have a pair of leather backed, calf length ugg boots. Awesome for getting about in long wet grass. Also very easy to keep clean.

Nomad

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Interesting ... Scarpa aren't known for their wide fit. I use them because I have typically Aussie long and narrow "roo" feet...My first pair were Trek's in leather, and I replaced them about 3 years ago with the Kailash in Goretex. A much lighter boot, but hard to keep clean. This is important where I walk due to the spread of dieback.
The toe box is a snug fit with a really thick sock on but they're barely worn in.

I noticed this yesterday when had to cross a muddy area and managed to cover them in muck.

A toothbrush with really mild soapy warm water and a wet cloth for the more sensitive areas, they cleaned up like new but took some effort.

Last edited:

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi Bushchef, I have also read Mike Clelland's book and I disagree with his choice of footwear. He advocates lightweight "trainers" as suitable for hiking and doesn't seem to mind wet and cold feet. I also think a loose shoe/boot fit contributes to hotspots and blisters due to the foot moving within the shoe/boot and causing friction. I like to have nice dry, warm feet and prefer well-sealed leather boots such as Scarpa's, Asolo, etc. If I am doing a long hike, I rub some BodyGlide onto my heels, toes and ball of the feet to reduce the chance of friction and hotspots. I also wear merino socks and lace my boots up snugly to reduce movement in the foot pocket.

We have just spent three days on a WA bushcrafters weekend with slashing rain and gale force winds. My feet remained bone dry in my boots for the entire weekend.

My two cents worth.

Dan m

Les Stroud
Reaction score
seems like i'm due for a new pair of boots, anyone recommend a decent leather boot, possibly Australian made? i've had a look around and the danner boots are nice, heavy on the wallet though. i almost bit the bullet on a pair but open to suggestion and tales of other peoples go to boots

bentarrow

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hi Bushchef, I have also read Mike Clelland's book and I disagree with his choice of footwear. He advocates lightweight "trainers" as suitable for hiking and doesn't seem to mind wet and cold feet. I also think a loose shoe/boot fit contributes to hotspots and blisters due to the foot moving within the shoe/boot and causing friction. I like to have nice dry, warm feet and prefer well-sealed leather boots such as Scarpa's, Asolo, etc. If I am doing a long hike, I rub some BodyGlide onto my heels, toes and ball of the feet to reduce the chance of friction and hotspots. I also wear merino socks and lace my boots up snugly to reduce movement in the foot pocket.

We have just spent three days on a WA bushcrafters weekend with slashing rain and gale force winds. My feet remained bone dry in my boots for the entire weekend.

My two cents worth.
Hi doc, can you elaborate On the body glide? What is this and whe're can I get some, sounds like something from an adult store! I've got a pair of scrapes that I've almost given up on. Very disappointing because my last pair were fantastic.......

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say these keen brand boots just seem to fit my feet really well. But I think they not the best brand out there in terms of quality. I what to try out Scarpa boots I think they will suit my foot shape as well..

Keen !.jpg

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Mmmmm Bodyglide!! The stuff legends are made of.
On topic though I usually go for Italian made boots like Scarpa or Zamberlan. Currently I use Zamberlan and find them fantastic.

Ben Dono

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I use my redback work boots ( my outdoor slippers!) for most things as they are comfy and easy on and off. I have a pair of the older roo leather Australian army boots for serious trips though. Well.... I think they were roo leather.....made by redback as well.

Doc

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Hi doc, can you elaborate On the body glide? What is this and whe're can I get some, sounds like something from an adult store! I've got a pair of scrapes that I've almost given up on. Very disappointing because my last pair were fantastic.......
Hi Bentarrow
This is Body Glide
Body Glide.jpg

rlgriffo

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Solamon GTX Ultra mids for long hauls with the heavy pack.

Merrell Bare Access Ultra for trail running or light day trips.

Very happy with both.

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I still wear my terra's, from the old army days.....

Big Dazza

Russell Coight
Reaction score
What about socks?

I've always been a fan of the 85% woollen Army socks, but I've recently been converted to bamboo. They seem pretty good so far but I don't think they'll last as long as the ADF ones.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Been using bamboo socks for the last year with no problems and they do not stink after 48 hours in my alt bergs.

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
When I played competition squash I was introduced to "Thorlo" socks...https://www.thorlo.com/
Cured all of my foot problems especially reducing blisters and keeping moisture/sweat away from the skin.
All good sports stores sell them.

They are also available as Hiking socks, not the cheapest, but if you have any kind of foot problems they will certainly help in the comfort department.
They are so well cushioned I read a story where someone once ran in the New York marathon just wearing these socks, and they lasted the distance.

example: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thorlo-Wool-Hiking-Socks-KLT-/281516150186?pt=Men_s_Clothing&var=&hash=item418bab8daa

Last edited:

Bush-Mate

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Hey Mates,

yeah Thorlo's great socks.....I prefer Woolpower Wildlife 400 Serie (from Sweden).....you can buy it in different strengthen (200/400/600/800). When it's not to cold the 400 work best, great socks, I only just use this kind of socks all year long. BTW: the 200 serie has not the exact good calling like the rest of this socks, to thin.

Cheers

Ralf

https://www.woolpower.se/en/products/socks/socks-400/

It looks like as Woolpower do not deliver to Australia.....??!!

Last edited:

Jarrad

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I picked some of those adventure socks from good old Aldi, some of the most comfortable socks I have ever work......

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Patagonia Drifter A/C either the standard or GTX version. I've been wearing these pretty much daily for over a year now and they're some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned and have worn very well. I've already got a pair of each version and plan on picking up a couple more pair to store away for when these eventually wear out in case they drop or change the model.

They make a boot version as well so if I see those on sale I'll grab a pair of them as well to try.

As for socks, out walking I usually go for SmartWool as they're easier to find on sale than some other brands and are decent quality.