Footwear - what works for you?

Bernoulli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I was issued jungle boots during the Vietnam War. They fit out of the box and I wore them for many years - until the steel shank came out of the sole.

I have used other boots since, but was never satisfied, so I bought a pair of Altama jungle boots. They are much heavier and the sole is much stiffer than the old pair I had. Wearing them casually was killing the skin around my ankles because the leather with the shoelace holes in it was digging into my skin. I lace them up only to normal shoe height and wore them like that for a while. They are much better now, and I think they are going to work out fine.

My new Altamas. 550 for laces.

My GP is a serious bush walker. He's climbing Kilimanjaro now. He uses Scarpas - I don't know which model. He reports that he needs good ankle support so that his feet don't slide down (banging his toes) on descents. He uses stiff soles because of toe arthritis. The stiff soles limit toe flexing.

My GP also agrees with my son (who's out climbing mountains in the U.S. Cascade Range just now) in that the heavier your load, the more heavy duty boots are required.

I like Smartwool socks and always carry moleskin. If you feel a hot spot, moleskin will stop a blister from forming.

I disagree with the low cut shoe theory. Years ago I was running 40-50 miles a week and badly turned an ankle.

I had to wear a brace like this for several years when running or hunting. Where I hunt (Eastern Oregon) there is a fair amount of shale and rough volcanic ground. Ankle support is a must.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I currently use a pair of Rossi Eagles for my deer hunting.
These are fairly heavy, full leather boots taht have excellent ankle support & after a hard days hunting in mountain country where there's often no trails to follow, they are indispensible. Have been using em for aorund 10 years now & they have never let me down.
I also have an old (almost worn out) pair of Scarpa Navagators I have used for hiking for many years.
Been thinking about a new pair of boots lately to replace the Scarpas & am currently heading toward a pair of Meindl GTX Sambar boots.
These are goretex, have good ankle support, are reletively lightweight, & have excellent grip.

Bill.

For those that aren't familiar with the Rossi Eagles, here they are.

Rossi Eagles.jpg

Bernoulli

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Been thinking about a new pair of boots lately to replace the Scarpas & am currently heading toward a pair of Meindl GTX Sambar boots.
These are goretex, have good ankle support, are reletively lightweight, & have excellent grip. Bill.View attachment 7430
I am suspicious of Goretex. I don't believe the "breathable" bit. It's waterproof which will make your feet hot if you do sustained walking.

On the other hand, I believe you're not hunting as long as you're walking. I would not choose Goretex if there was a lot of walking involved.

Slysilncr

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I use Oliver lace up boots for work as well as the bush they are the most comfortable boot i have worn and iv'e even worn them to play indoor cricket as they are more comfy than my runners. they are easy to look after and just wear so well, they have a non slip sole heat proof and oil and acid resistant couldn't ask for a better pair of boots for me that is.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I would not choose Goretex if there was a lot of walking involved.
Not sure why. As long as the constuction is ok Goretex boots shouldn't present too many problems.
As far as overheating is concerned I couldn't see em being any worse than full leather boots & I would think the charateristic of Goretex in wicking moisture away from the skin would actually assist with preventing blisters, etc
Meindl state about the Sambar GTX boots;

"The Sambar is a new model from Meindl of Germany and has been designed as a lightweight, mid height, Hiking and Hunting boot for use in light to moderate hilly terrain. The boot incorporates a waterproof GTX lining with Meindl's patented fully orthotic Polymid shanked walking system for correct posture and improved bi-pedal motion."

It's also interesting to note that Meindl Desertfox are the current issue to a lot of troops, although they are also made from suade/cordura, rather thaqn Goretex.

Bill.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
My GP is a serious bush walker. He's climbing Kilimanjaro now. He uses Scarpas
Yeah says it all. I've gotta agree that the Scarpas are the best boots I've ever worn.
Still um-ing & ah-ing about going with another pair of scarpas or the Meindls.
Love the Scarpas but don't really want to be using em when hunting as they will get abused.
The Meindls have a very good name with many Sambar hunters but making that switch is going to be difficult.

Bill.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
My feet generally end up wet on multi day walks. My shoes have an outside chance of drying off. Years ago I fractured my tibia in the bush wearing boots, my ankle twisted a strange direction. I think it would have fractured regardless of the boots vs shoes debate. The muscles that support the ankle laterally are pretty strong now and I've not had any issues wearing shoes offtrack.
One question, I took some boots to Tassie and six days in the snow completely leeched the colour out of them. They look like unfinished leather. It took the dubbin and dye out of them. Has anyone else experienced this with leather boots in the snow?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
My feet generally end up wet on multi day walks. My shoes have an outside chance of drying off. Years ago I fractured my tibia in the bush wearing boots, my ankle twisted a strange direction. I think it would have fractured regardless of the boots vs shoes debate. The muscles that support the ankle laterally are pretty strong now and I've not had any issues wearing shoes offtrack.
One question, I took some boots to Tassie and six days in the snow completely leeched the colour out of them. They look like unfinished leather. It took the dubbin and dye out of them. Has anyone else experienced this with leather boots in the snow?
Could be a freeze-drying effect ?

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe, It was only noticeable when I got out of the bush and they did have a chance to dry off.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
boot2.jpgboot1.jpg

Not the best, but the pics show the tan coloured leather. Before the trip the boots were a dark brown, like the upper portion. Really odd.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
It looks like abrasion damages.
Did you trod snow with it?
Ice and snow are quite abrasive, even frost could be abrasive.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I was tromping around in it for six days. Who would have thought snow was abrasive enough to take it down to bare leather? Bizarre

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I was tromping around in it for six days. Who would have thought snow was abrasive enough to take it down to bare leather? Bizarre
Makes sense.
Have a look at the bottom of any skis or toboggans - all very scratched up !

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
You might find it is a combination of things, most likely abrasion and the leeching effect of the snow on the leather... you get the same thing with mud in the tropics, it tends to draw the dye and such out over time... its one of the reasons soldiers used to apply polish to their boots every morning even in the bush, it keeps them water resistant and replaces the colouring in the leather... even if they are damp.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Did you end up with dyed socks or even through to your feet, 'cause it sort of looks like leaching but I don't know much about snow....
Cheers
Bloffy

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
The socks and feet didn't get any dye on them. Just lots of leeches, even in the snow.

cityboy

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I had some Colorado boots and used those but after i did a 20plus km they really killed my feet and back..
I'm now using come Hiking shoes from Hi-tec they are pretty comfy.. want to try another long hike to see how I go in hiking shoes...

woodsrunner

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
depends of course on the activity, i find a pair of palladiums work great for general woodsbumming, good traction though not the best ankle support, still not bad.
in the colder months in the mountains while hunting or in deep snow, then its my made in montana schnees, excellent traction in most conditions and good ankle support.
when backpacking, carrying a loaded pack in rugged terrain, then for me, its me meindl's...woods

IRF7

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I've been eyeing these for quite a while - can you give some sizes of other brands of boots you wear and what size you bought this boot in? I am usually a 10US, well 10.5 (which they don't come in) for the extra width, and would love a comparison so I don't have to pay postage back to them and then to me again... thanks.

Also with the oliver steel caps, I wear these at work and they are the best i've ever had. Too heavy for me hiking though, but I always replace my hiking boot insoles with olivers... around $20 but they are extra comfy IMO.
sorry for not getting back to you sooner.......I orderred a US 10 and find then quite generous. They are quite a wide boot.