Footwear - what works for you?

IRF7

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Altberg & Irish Setter are first class boots as well.

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have been using Garmont T8's for a while & really like them. They work straight from the box & do exactly what they say they do. http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/T8-Garmont-Multi-Terrain-Combat-Boot.html
I've been eyeing these for quite a while - can you give some sizes of other brands of boots you wear and what size you bought this boot in? I am usually a 10US, well 10.5 (which they don't come in) for the extra width, and would love a comparison so I don't have to pay postage back to them and then to me again... thanks.

Also with the oliver steel caps, I wear these at work and they are the best i've ever had. Too heavy for me hiking though, but I always replace my hiking boot insoles with olivers... around $20 but they are extra comfy IMO.

Stekker

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I've leather boots made for walking and light climbing.
It's in Europe a fameous brand, made in Germany and called Meindl Borneo.
They got Vibram shock absorbing soles and are really great in warm and also cold conditions.
Walked twice in Australia with those boots, also using them in European winter.
BORNEO_PRO_MFS%20Kopie.jpg

Last edited:

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Can't really say what brand is best and what is not...it all depends on the individual and the environment that your using them...
What works for me is the following...
1. heavy loads, rocky terrain, use light leather boots with vibram sole, orthopedic inners, and good ankle support (wet or dry environment)
2. Light track, daily walk, varied terrain...Rockport leather walkers, have used Dunlop volleys in the past for dry flat tracks with no load.
3. Crocs for around the camp, give your feet time to breath and recover.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I've leather boots made for walking and light climbing.
It's in Europe a fameous brand, made in Germany and called Meindl Borneo.
They got Vibram shock absorbing soles and are really great in warm and also cold conditions.
Walked twice in Australia with those boots, also using them in European winter.
View attachment 3554
I've been eyeing off a pair of goretex Meindle's for a while now.
Mate of mine has been using em for deer hunting over the past 2-3 years & swears by em.
Just gotta save the squillion dollars they cost over here to get a pair.

In the mean time my trusty Rossi Eagles are still going great after nearly 15 years of use deer hunting in some pretty adverse winter weather, including some pretty hairy river crossings from time to time.
They are a heavy boot but offer excellent grip, support, & comfort, & they've served me far better than I ever thought they would.

I also use a pair of Sorrells for quail hunting & love them as well.
The totally water proof uppers are a god send when trudging mile after mile in wet stubble & grass following my dog as he hunts the little birds.
Combined with a pair of knee high oil skin gaitors I rarely ever get even the slightest drop of water around my feet, no matter how wet the conditions.
They did take a fair while & a lot of miles around the block to break in tho.

I also have a paid of ex-mil GP boots that I used to use when pig hunting & wading through flood water duck hunting.
They used to get absolutely 100% soaked in the flood waters but always dried out well & with a bit of leather conditioning always came back up without a problem.
The soles have long since lost their grip as the tread is almost bare, but for flat ground work they're still fine & have plenty of years left in em yet.

Bill.

Mopoke

Russell Coight
Reaction score
while out 4wdriving shooting and camping i wear my trusty oliver AT's steel cap work boots they are super comfortable
with lots of support and my feet are very used to them (that happens when you wear em all day everyday) they are also quite water proof
and my socks (explorers) never get wet until the water comes in the top of the boot. having said all that a good pair of hunting boots
is high on the list for hiking general hunting and backpack hunting.

View attachment 2333
They're good boots but I prefer the Hiker, a lot lighter. I wear them everyday, last for ages and you won't slip on anything even wet mossy roof tiles. Very light boots.

oliver.jpg

Only problem is they stopped making them, I have one unused pair though.

New ones are Style 44-535 Lace Up Boot, haven't tried them yet but they look pretty good. http://www.oliver.com.au/asp/show_products.asp

They are under Building & Construction for some reason. :^o):

peter

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Gday BushChef I wear Redback pull ons, & 2 pairs of socks. They sort of flop around, like you have loose laces.

Cogola

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Another thumbs up from me for the Garmont T8's. Nice and light but most importantly for me - cool (for the feet, not necessarily in looks). I just find most of the modern boots lined with all sorts of miracle waterproof linings just too hot. This means that your feet get wet anyway just from sweat. With these boots your feet will get wet quick in the wet, but then hey, they dry quick too, and hey it doesn't seem to rain much anymore here in the west :). I've been wearing boots of all sorts every day for the last 20 years so the whole boot/shoe debate is a non-issue for me - boots are what I'm used to.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Some nice boots in this thread. I always go for light shoes in the bush, but lately, I've been hankering for a pair of bombproof leather boots. I've been checking out the Meindl site...

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Check out zamberlan (sella/latemar, welted norweigan leather) - they are about as bombproof as they come. They are next on my list.

Recently I got a pair of garmont t8's, extremely lightweight and nice ankle support - not waterproof though (a usual requirement for me...).

climbndrive

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I am also a believer in shoes to suit terrain, I mainly wear merrell or garmont most of my hiking matched with one planet gaiters and for four wheel driving I prefer my go style blind stones as welding a chainsaw or axe is common but if walking over uneven ground and just walking long distances I like a low ankle shoe as boots trigger a nerve on my ankle making my foot drop at the worst times, this is why I choose a low ankle show for extended hikes over rough terrain, also love my chacos for approach climbing and rafting, also posses a pair of Keene for rafting to comply with new safety regs for working with groups on river and lake.

Last edited:

hillbilly

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Bought these a couple of months ago, Lacrosse Silencer HD8" Hunting Boot. Done some miles in hilly/rocky country on my first time out with no break in period (had a quick walk and felt like a glove) Thin socks and no soreness at all after 4 days hiking. Low 30's temps with minimal sweating inside considering they are insulated which i was very surprised. I've tried a few other boots along the way and never found the one that suites me until now. Worth every cent to me.

http://www.siouxarchery.com.au/shop/index.php?image=2897

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
At the end of the day the best footware is the ones on your feet. That could range from socks, thongs, crocs up to the most expensive hiking boots out there. If they are left at home when you go out then they are no good.

bushcamper

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I have to go with the soft shoe crowd, the only time I have had a problem with my feet is when I couldn't feel what I was walking on properly & the worst was in the army with the GPs on.

I usually go for sandals, moccasin type footwear or bare feet.

GStone

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Tried lots of different types but have settled on the Teva Riva in leather. I use both the boot and shoe versions depending on what I'm doing. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Quinkan

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Been living in my Florsheim All Terrain Comfort Otways lately, flexible, light, great groundfeel and a good balance between a runner and a boot. Very aggressive tread and solid stiched-thru construction.

Those and my longterm standby, Colorado Cadenza Aztec Crazyhorses. Good for prickly terrain and flat country walking.

Only two makes/models that really suit my giant feet. I'm 6 foot 4, size 13 widefit.

I treat em with dubbin weekly or so, bicarb the inside and add a few drops of citronella essential oil to deter ticks.

They always come up like new, solid as rocks and at 130/150 pretty affordable. Been thru 4 pairs of those exact colorados in 12 years or so, I wear em to death.

I have pairs of Danners etc that I never wear, just too narrow.

Nice not having to change shoes to go into town too.