food dehydrator

julius

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
anyone got a good food dehydrator to reccomend.. in canada and u.s. there is a huge selection but here i have had trouble to even get one in a shop??

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Got mine in K mart and fairly cheap too.
Good bit ofv kit but a tad noisy. I fill it up and take out to the shed. Made a few good meals in it.
Cheers
Bloffy

Keggsy

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I got a Sunbeam DT6000 Food Lab. https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Food-Lab-Electronic-Dehydrator-1.aspx
You can pick them up on Ebay for $179.00 which is a bit dearer than the standard Sunbeam DT5600 that is sold in a lot of local shops, but you get a good capacity with easy access, a quieter fan, plus the fan is at the rear, so no rotating the trays. It works well for me and had good reviews when I purchased mine.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
We have an old Sunbeam like the one in this internet picture. Works well, but doesn't have a temperature adjustment or timer - which some newer models have.
None the less it seems to do a good job

dehyde-machine.jpg

From time to time Aldi have dehydrators for sale; I think people who have bought them have been happy, but you'd have to wait for them to get stocked again ...

Last edited:

oncedisturbed

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I ordered mine on eBay 4-5 years ago and set me back around $70 with 8 trays, regularly gets used and never missed a beat

Never underestimate the power of the tap, let it flow through you.

julius

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
hmm yeah since i returned to australia i can not find one in any of the retail shops. i guess they are fully dedicated to selling only the worst chinese junk.i recall them in k-mart... in the 1990s though (although kmart also sold cammillus knives back then too).... ill look for one online..only thing is you cant see it in hand. as some are very flimsy or badly layed out..

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Use an oven tray on the dashboard of your car. :) Seriously, my partner actually does that to make bread crumbs from beautiful fresh bread, from a hot bread shop, each Thanksgiving. [ She's a Yank].

Mine is so old it's a K'tel brand. [ a huge, "but wait there's more" TV marketer in the 70's]

I was surprised at the wide variety available on ebay ... interesting:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xfood+deyhrdrator.TRS0&_nkw=food+deyhrdrator&_sacat=0

CraftCritter

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I got a Sunbeam DT6000 Food Lab. https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Food-Lab-Electronic-Dehydrator-1.aspx
You can pick them up on Ebay for $179.00 which is a bit dearer than the standard Sunbeam DT5600 that is sold in a lot of local shops, but you get a good capacity with easy access, a quieter fan, plus the fan is at the rear, so no rotating the trays. It works well for me and had good reviews when I purchased mine.
Any unit with a quieter fan is always the best for me. :)

Havamal

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I have had a Fowlers Vacola for about 15 years. It is still going strong.