Flint and steel without a tinderbox

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Tried out a somewhat different technique with flint and steel, this time not using a tinderbox. Had some old charred punkwood saved in a plastic bag and put a small pile directly on some pieces of stringybark kindling.

The idea being the whole thing would be the fire and in the end worked out quite well.

My flint and steel firelighting is done with all natural materials gathered at the campsite or whilst in transit.

Punkwood piled on pieces of stringybark

No tinderbox 1.JPG

After the usual clacking away with the flint a spark caught and ignition.

No tinderbox 2.JPG

The successful outcome, the trick is to blow gently so as to not break up the punkwood or wave the tinder about as have seen Aboriginal firelighters do.

No tinderbox 3.JPG

In the future will repeat this technique, that is, put the punkwood directly on the kindling and get the fire burning. This will save the tinderbox for bad weather events.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
excellent stuff mate, a tinderbox only makes things a bit easier, usually stopping the tinder from getting blown away.

They also make it a lot easier to put things out, which is their primary use from my experience.

Chigger

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Yes it was rather breezy and had a bit of bother with fine punkwood being blown about. However was able to work around it to get the job done.

Next time will cut larger pieces of stringybark (my favourite tinder) and make a nest for the punkwood.

This is an advantage of flint and steel, there are so many different ways of experimenting and getting a fire going.

As already mentioned will always carry a tinderbox for bad weather events.