BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flint and steel, Aussie black flint edge durability test

Chigger

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Interesting exercise and inspired me to drag out my box of S.A flint and do some practice strikes. Did not bother to do a count. Good stuff the Aussie flint and even a piece that is a lighter grey gave of a respectable shower of sparks although think the black/very dark grey is a bit more lively.

As well played around with some pieces of English Norfolk flint from Beaver Bushcraft. A really lively flint and although very dark has a honey translucent look to it when held up to the light.

American flint I had was a honey brown colour and a good lively flint as well.

A pleasant way to spend an hour or so on a warm Autumn afternoon. Probably will light a fire this evening as a practice session.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
everyone raves about Norfolk flint and apparently, it is the hardest flint in the world rating 8 Moh's. I do have a soft spot for the English flint but as you note mate our Aussie flint compares well against it.

Thinking about this test though, the results can be skewed a bit depending on who's doing the testing (how hard they do the striking, and thus prematurely degrading the edge, the experience of the tester, again the more experience the tester the better they can make the edge last) and the type of edge you start with, I started with a fairly robust edge and it lasted quite well but if you started with a sharp but fragile edge (a thin one) it will chip and degrade quicker.